DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can a septic line make right angles?

29K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Randell Tarin 
#1 ·
I need to lay a new septic line for a new structure into an existing septic tank. The entry orifice is oriented in a 90º angle to the direction I need to run my line in order to get it to where I need it.

Is it a normal practice to make turns this sharp in a septic line. I'm concerned that waste might continually get backed up at the turn.

If I use three 30º angles to make it a little bit smoother in the turn, would that take care of the problem?

#2 ·
i would recommend using two 45,s with at least a 1 foot piece between them so as to make a smoother transition into the turn. If you find it necessary to use a 90, then use a long turn 90 and install a clean out, I believe it is code to install a clean out where there is a 90 anyway. The two 45,s are your best bet.

#4 ·
I've had a 90 degree L in my main 4" septic line for more than 30 years, and I've never had a problem with it.
Also, I try to keep everything OUT of my septic tank that I possibly can other than toilet tissue and the waste/water that is supposed to go in it, including all else, from grease, chemicals, paint, excess amounts of bleach, all solids and non-biodegradeables, etc.
And I have the tank pumped every five years without fail. (I have it pumped in all years ending in 0 or 5, just to keep it idiot-proof for me. LOL)
I have never used any of those useless "additives" because normal usage provides all of the bacteria necessary for it to operate properly, according to many years aof study by NCSU.
The only thing that I use on my septic system is for root control since our drainfield has a lot of shrubbery and trees planted on or near it. I flush a cup or two of copper sulphate crystals down about three times a year to keep roots knocked out of the drainfield lines. Works like a charm.
Good Luck!
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.