DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can not figure this non-traditional shower drain

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  braindead 
#1 ·
I have what I call a "mud shower" in my basement. Strictly utilitarian, not pretty, but good for when I am super grimy and don't want to get oil and mud all over my main shower. It's a standard fiberglass surround but there is no easy way for me to pull it without cutting into the water supply lines and redoing it signigicantly. I don't want to do taht at this point. Maybe when I have more time. The drain is not properly plumbed. Right now there is a piece of 3 inch PVC that extends up from the subfloor and exits out the drain hole in the shower surround. It is cut off flush with the top of the fiberglass. There is a 3 inch threaded metal strainer that just sits in the PVC and is secured with silicone. The previous owner of the house really half assed it. I never really cared too much about it but recently the middle of the strainer collapsed due to corrosion. I pulled the old strainer out and it was shot. It had threads on the bottom but never screwed into anything, it was just siliconed.

So now my problem is that I need to replace the strainer. I'd prefer to use an alternate method rather than just siliconing another strainer into the old drain pipe. My problem is that other than sticking my hand down through the hole there is no way for me to gain access to the void below the shower stall. I can't mount a drain ring or receiver that I can screw the strainer into.

I've atatched a drawing of that helps out any. I can't figure out a way of mounting a new strainer. (Due to file size limitations on this forum I had to dumb the image down so badly that it might be unreadable) :mad:

Anyone have suggestions or know of any specialty products that might fit this application?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wish I had more time so I could do it right. In the meantime I found this picture form google images and I believe something like this might work. Now if I could only figure out where to buy one.
http://media.rd.com/dynamic/79/36/48/Oct06_ShowerDrain-2_size2.jpg

Seems like this type of unit would allow me to insert the drain housing from above the shower and then tighten the wings to snug it up. Sort of like the electrical outlet boxes I've seen.

#7 ·
I wish I had more time so I could do it right. In the meantime I found this picture form google images and I believe something like this might work. Now if I could only figure out where to buy one.
http://media.rd.com/dynamic/79/36/48/Oct06_ShowerDrain-2_size2.jpg

Seems like this type of unit would allow me to insert the drain housing from above the shower and then tighten the wings to snug it up. Sort of like the electrical outlet boxes I've seen.
The shower repair drain that you posted should work fine, you will have to deal with a plumbing supply to get one, knowing its brand name will help, you may have to use the telephone :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.