Can I Use Unions In A Drain Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Can I use unions in a drain line?

I'm in Ontario, Canada ...
I'm working with a drain from a laundry tub. Are there any rules in the plumbing code that say I cannot use a union:
a. Between the fixture and its trap?
b. In the trap arm?

Thanks ..


GuyBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
Posts: 1,460
Rewards Points: 500

A. I'm not a licensed pro plumber.
B. I'm not from Canada.
C. I do not know plumbing code well.
D. I'm just an old DIYer.
E. I know of no reason that someone couldn't use a union in a non-pressurized drain line as long as it didn't leak.
F. Make an anonymous call to your local Building Inspection Department and ask if you want.
G. Go ahead and use the union.
Good luck!


Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"
rjniles's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 7,505
Rewards Points: 4,226

Not sure code wise but the issue I see is most unions are smaller ID than the pipe. Why not use a Fernco type connector? you get full diameter of the pipe and they are code compliant in most areas.
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Doing it myself
Alan's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,798
Rewards Points: 2,086
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

All code issues aside, using a tubular tailpiece/trap underneath the sink gives you multiple union points.

Clear that with inspector and you're golden.

We ARE allowed to use these in our area.
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670
Rewards Points: 1,000

Any joint in a drain line is where it will form a clog. Most piping under a sink has slip-joint connectors with friction type nuts or threaded connector. I have never seen an actual"union"in a drain pipe. Normally would be a Fernco or No-hub coupling.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to majakdragon For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-20-2010)

drain line , plumbing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can drain vents use the radon line? FTenney Plumbing 3 06-10-2010 06:59 AM
water softener drain line moreira85 Plumbing 6 10-31-2009 12:14 PM
Sewer Drain Issues allenzachary Plumbing 20 03-03-2009 07:09 PM
Water and Drain Line Location Material Tester Plumbing 1 11-27-2007 07:40 PM
Cutting Concrete for drain line Piney Building & Construction 2 12-01-2006 07:42 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1