Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
Share |
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Hi there.

I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks. Opposite side of wall is bathtub which has a 1.5" P trap underneth. Can I Tee into that without any issues?
Attached Images
 

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


The only provision I know of that MY local code makes is that a condensate waste discharge line may be tied into the vertical portion of a bathtub overflow pipe.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
nateo (01-03-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,304
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Hi there.

I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks. Opposite side of wall is bathtub which has a 1.5" P trap underneth. Can I Tee into that without any issues?
If i understand your question correctly the answer is no.
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,582
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Hi there.

I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks. Opposite side of wall is bathtub which has a 1.5" P trap underneth. Can I Tee into that without any issues?
What is an "overfill pan to minor leaks"?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,887
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Are you talking about a washing machine drain pan?
__________________
"facts" have no relevance to this discusion
Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Are you talking about a washing machine drain pan?
yes .
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
If i understand your question correctly the answer is no.
and the reason beimm g?
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,304
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


That would fall under the category of a water heater drip pan. by code these drains can not be piped in to the sanitary system unless via an indirect drain with a self priming trapped line.(your close but no cigar) what do you think would happen if you ended up with a clog in that bathroom branch or the main.but again depending on your location this may not be true to code. under the IPC thats a no no.

should drain in to the green area (yard) if this is not possible then you do have other options that will keep you flood free and within code.
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 01-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,432
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Hi there.

I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks. Opposite side of wall is bathtub which has a 1.5" P trap underneth. Can I Tee into that without any issues?
Either I am still suffering from a bad cold, or what you said makes no sense at all. What in gods name does "I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks" mean???????

Did you read what you asked? Do you mean

"I want to install a stand-tube to monitor leaks?"
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Master Plumber
 
Javiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,304
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Either I am still suffering from a bad cold, or what you said makes no sense at all. What in gods name does "I'm looking to put in a overfill pan to minor leaks" mean???????

Did you read what you asked? Do you mean

"I want to install a stand-tube to monitor leaks?"
yes i feel your pain with some of these post. what he want to install is a drip pan for the washing machine same as a water heater drip/safety pan only these are for your washing machines. at least i think thats what he wants.
Attached Images
 
__________________


Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 01-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
That would fall under the category of a water heater drip pan. by code these drains can not be piped in to the sanitary system unless via an indirect drain with a self priming trapped line.(your close but no cigar) what do you think would happen if you ended up with a clog in that bathroom branch or the main.but again depending on your location this may not be true to code. under the IPC thats a no no.
"indirect drain"...so like a wash tub or something? hum...Perhaps I could send it down to the one in my basement...That washtub empties out into a basement floor drain. Don't know if it's self priming but it always seems to have water in it. Do you think it likely is self priming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
should drain in to the green area (yard) if this is not possible then you do have other options that will keep you flood free and within code.
How does one keep cold air out from the outside?

Last edited by nateo; 01-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Perhaps I could send it down to the one in my basement...That washtub empties out into a basement floor drain. Don't know if it's self priming but it always seems to have water in it. Do you think it likely is self priming?
Dump it right into the utility sink. Easy. Done.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


up cho bác d?t h*ng,=))
yenpham280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Can I use a Tee before a P trap?


.thanks just im
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The only provision I know of that MY local code makes is that a condensate waste discharge line may be tied into the vertical portion of a bathtub overflow pipe.
i think ill go with this method. im just trying to cstch minor overflow issues and turns out utility sink is not easily reachable.

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furnace condensate drain/trap issue SteveC HVAC 33 12-27-2012 11:46 AM
PVC trap adapter on galvanized trap? dougan Plumbing 2 10-05-2012 06:16 AM
Trane XR90 - Condensate Drane Trap JDWorks HVAC 16 02-07-2012 07:59 PM
kitchen wall drain outlet higher than trap arm Druidia Plumbing 24 10-13-2011 12:39 PM
Cat trap fever radtek General DIY Discussions 13 05-31-2009 06:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.