Can I Use A Braided Flexible Supply On A Polybutylene Qest Shutoff Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Extreme DIYist

Rewards Points: 75

Can I use a braided flexible supply on a Polybutylene Qest Shutoff Valve?

I was repairing my leaky old qest PB angle valves in preparation to replace my faucets, and I overtightened a nut and broke it. Can I replace the 3/8" supply line with a flexible braided supply with the integrated nut? The nut on the qest fitting is 1/2" but the supply inlet is 3/8", so I'm not positive that this will work.

Advertisement

Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Yes,you can get 1/2' fitings on the supply lines also.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Extreme DIYist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Yes,you can get 1/2' fitings on the supply lines also.
Thanks, I did notice that I have one of these valves in another spot with a 3/8" supply connected by a 1/2" FIP brass nut. I found something similar that will probably work for me (albeit at a ridiculous price online) http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-03-1847-.../dp/B0066CCCZW

I'm wondering though, are the braided supply lines made to be used where a 3/8" supply tube is needed? Specifically, I'm looking at this supply: http://www.amazon.com/Watts-LFWTS-SP...ly+compression

Thanks for the advice, there sure is a lack of information on these fittings out there. I have heard mixed opinions on whether sharkbite can be used, whether regular compression fittings can be used, and there also doesn't seem to be any crimp style fitting available besides pb to pex couplings!

I've attached a pic of the valve here just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use a braided flexible supply on a Polybutylene Qest Shutoff Valve?-img_20131030_203103.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,206

Repairing a PB valve? Now that's a new one on me. I'd replace it, along with every inch of PB tubing in my house.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Extreme DIYist

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Repairing a PB valve? Now that's a new one on me. I'd replace it, along with every inch of PB tubing in my house.
Yeah they are actually quite easy to repair, all you need to do is replace the o-ring pictured. I have considered replacing the PB but since my water supply has no chlorine in it, I would really just be wasting my time and money -- don't fix it if it isn't broken!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yeah they are actually quite easy to repair, all you need to do is replace the o-ring pictured. I have considered replacing the PB but since my water supply has no chlorine in it, I would really just be wasting my time and money -- don't fix it if it isn't broken!
I've only dealt with it in one of my houses, but have concluded there are two types of PB: that which has failed, and that which is going to fail. Doesn't matter if there's chlorine in the water or not.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,664

That crap was recalled years ago. To bad you missed it the re-piped entire houses.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Extreme DIYist

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I've only dealt with it in one of my houses, but have concluded there are two types of PB: that which has failed, and that which is going to fail. Doesn't matter if there's chlorine in the water or not.
The same can be said of copper or any other piping system -- nothing lasts forever.

I have read about PB and acetal fittings extensively, and came to the conclusion that the chlorine in water supplies is to blame for post-installation leaking. Acetal, aka Polyoxymethylene, is sensitive to acid hydrolysis and oxidation by agents such as mineral acids and chlorine. Thus low levels of chlorine in potable water supplies (13 ppm) can be sufficient to cause stress corrosion cracking to develop, a problem which has been experienced in both the USA and Europe in domestic and commercial water supply systems.

So, I'm sure the previous owner of my house pocketed the settlement funds or just didn't know about it but luckily for me I probably have nothing to worry about. I appreciate the understandable concern, I know that in 95% of cases replacing the PB is the correct approach.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 580

I've had two of the Quest shut offs develop pin hole leaks right in the castings.
It took out the whole bathroom and kitchen floor.
No way would I leave them in place.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Plumber

Just use a poly x pex adapter then attach a new pex 1/2" x 3/8" angle stop and call it a day.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Rifeng-H140...ling-Lead-Free

http://www.pexsupply.com/HydroPEX-H2...FeuDQgodN1sACQ
Attached Thumbnails
Can I use a braided flexible supply on a Polybutylene Qest Shutoff Valve?-hydropex-pb-coupling.jpg   Can I use a braided flexible supply on a Polybutylene Qest Shutoff Valve?-h210500-3.jpg  
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Extreme DIYist

Not a bad idea, but then it would be sticking out pretty far... under the sink though I guess it wouldn't bother me much. I just wish there was a brass poly angle stop! Since I replace the o-rings I'm going to stick with my current valves but if they give me trouble I might go this route in the future.

Advertisement