Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
okk

Share |
Lightbulb

Can I turn off hot water to Washing Machine?

I'm trying to save money on utilities.

I have a Whirlpool washing machine that has both hot water and cold water pipes to it. It has two knobs, one for cold water and one for hot water.

Can I just turn the knob off to the hot water, then use the machine on cold water?

The machine has a "cold" water knob, but that won't do it-- I have housemates that wash on hot water. They aren't interested in being energy efficient as I'm paying the utility bills. Talking didn't fix it, and I don't want to nag them. Sometimes they just forget and use hot water out of habit. Our bills are overall very high-- I'm not just a miser. So, I want to just "fix" this by turning off the washing machine hot water line.

How much would using hot water in, say, 8 loads per person a month be? Hot water is a natural gas hot water heater, brand new.

Can I just turn the hot water line off, and the washing machine still work whether or not my housemates turn the washing machine on hot water or cold water?

Would the washing machine work if I turn the hot water line off?

Last edited by okk; 08-07-2012 at 10:15 PM.
okk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
JOATMON

If they select hot water for the load.....and the hot water is turned off.....they won't get any water.

In the grand scheme of things....if your using gas for your heating.....the difference is minimal....showers will make a bigger difference on energy consumption......but good luck turning off the hot water for that....

Over all, I think your talking less than $10/month....if that much......

Maybe you need to raise the rent

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

If your bills are high, and your water heater is new (and I assume relatively energy efficient) I would be looking at places other than the washing machine to save money.
I would suggest you talk to your utility company. Many will do a free or low cost inspection to help you cut your energy bills.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

washing machine is at the low end of water useage compared to showers..might want to tweek the dial on the HWH to a point they don't need cold water to temp the shower.12 0'clock is the normal position start moving it to right and CW.think of everybody with the hot water running then opening up the cold to cool it down...forget the washer hot water your not going to see it on the bill
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
bbo

also a low flow shower head will also help.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okk View Post
I'm trying to save money on utilities.

I have a Whirlpool washing machine that has both hot water and cold water pipes to it. It has two knobs, one for cold water and one for hot water.

Can I just turn the knob off to the hot water, then use the machine on cold water?

The machine has a "cold" water knob, but that won't do it-- I have housemates that wash on hot water. They aren't interested in being energy efficient as I'm paying the utility bills. Talking didn't fix it, and I don't want to nag them. Sometimes they just forget and use hot water out of habit. Our bills are overall very high-- I'm not just a miser. So, I want to just "fix" this by turning off the washing machine hot water line.

How much would using hot water in, say, 8 loads per person a month be? Hot water is a natural gas hot water heater, brand new.

Can I just turn the hot water line off, and the washing machine still work whether or not my housemates turn the washing machine on hot water or cold water?

Would the washing machine work if I turn the hot water line off?
Ayuh,..... Turn the Hot knob off, pull the hose off both the faucet, 'n the machine, 'n put caps on both the faucet, 'n the machine connection points...

Nobody will be washin' with hot water, 'n you'll never have to worry 'bout that particular hose leakin'....

I'm a Mechanic, 'n have always washed clothes in cold water....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
the Musigician

I never even ran a hot water line to the laundry room. The wife only washes in cold anyways, so why bother?

DM
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
How much would using hot water in, say, 8 loads per person a month be?
8 loads of laundry per person a month?!

I think we run maybe 8-10 loads a month in my household of three... I agree with others about the shower efficiency being more important than that of the washer, but sounds like you need to just plain not run it as often. Is it a really small washer than only first like 3 days worth of outfits at once or something?
dayid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Have not had hot water hooked up to a washer in 20 years. Always wash in cold (obviously).
And cloths line dry 90% of things.
saladdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
DIY staff

If you do remove the hot hose be sure to cap the hot inlet on the machine---a hose cap is all you need--about a buck---
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

just set your temp selector switch to cold....try it for a few months see if you and the wife like it ...if not switch it back.....don't take it apart...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #12

You should check the detergent manufactures definition of "cold water". You will discover it is higher then the typical tap water temperature in the northern US. The modern electronic washers and many older models mix a little hot water in with the cold even on the cold setting.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
just set your temp selector switch to cold.
Quote:
The machine has a "cold" water knob, but that won't do it-- I have housemates that wash on hot water.

dayid is offline   Reply With Quote