Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |

Can I temporarily connect my dishwasher in utility room during kitchen remodeling?

We'll be remodeling our kitchen and I wanted to temporarily connect the dishwasher in the utility room. Can this be done safely? It would be standing next to our washer and drier and I was thinking about draining it into the same large utility sink where the washer is drained. I assume I will need to put some sort of strainer in the sink to prevent it from being clogged by the debris coming out of the dishwasher. Can the d/w be "freestanding" or do I need to secure it somehow? Thanks.

ilyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Can I temporarily connect my dishwasher in utility room during kitchen remodeling?

dishwasher should not be freestanding, will fall over when door open. Also need to make sure no access to underneath if children around

tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Defintely need to secure it from tipping. You could attach a metal strap to the front of the unit (where it usually attaches to the countertop), and secure the other end to the rear wall (in a stud, not just in the drywall).

I'm also in the middle of a kitchen remodeling. I temporarily have my dishwasher connected directly to where the kitchen sink drain used to be (using a number of couplings to make it happen). No filter for the water, but we're pretty good about rinsing dishes before they go into the unit, so the water should be fairly clear.

If you have children, to tpolk's point, cover up access to the bottom/sides with some plywood or something...
Attached Thumbnails
Can I temporarily connect my dishwasher in utility room during kitchen remodeling?-8img_3282.jpg  
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote