Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,174

Can I replace just the tank on a toilet?

The toilet was new in 2007. It's made by Kohler.

The problem with it is that the tank sweats a lot. Except I don't think it does it in the summer months.

I read that the kits available for inside the tank to help this problem aren't very effective.

Can I buy the kind of tank that already has the foam formed to the inside? Or do I need to replace both parts of the toilet?

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Do something

Rewards Points: 75

Barb,

Yes you can buy an insulated tank for your toilet, provided Kohler makes (or still makes) a tank that will fit your bowl. Take the model name to your local plumbing supply house and see if it is available. A question for you; is your fill valve running, allowing cold ground water to constantly keep your toilet cold? That may be the reason you have condensation.
Let us know how this all works out for you.

D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Thank you D'Brie.

I thought the tank was sweating 24 hours a day, but I was checking the floor underneath it this morning and noticed the tank wasn't sweating at all. It was dry. This was before anyone took a shower.

I took a shower with luke-warm water and ran the bathroom fan and after getting dressed I checked the tank again. It wasn't dripping wet like usual, but moisture was forming on it.

So I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the toilet, but maybe the humidity in the air after the shower is used? Maybe the fan isn't doing it's job? But it's pretty loud, so I know it's running.

Barb
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

How long do you leave the exhaust fan on in the bar area after you have finished with your shower? This is a problem most of the time, not running the exhaust fan long enough to remove the adequate amount of moisture in the air within the room. That is why I highly recommend using a timer on bath exhaust fans. Just turn it on when needed and let the timer turn it off some 10-20 minutes later depending on the size of the room.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks Thurman. It's the kind that has a knob that has to be turned and it goes up to 30 minutes. I don't always turn it all the way to the 30 minute mark, but usually a little past the 20 minute mark.

I wonder if the fan isn't working the way it should. As they get older, do they draw less air out of the room?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

When was the last time you removed the fan assembly from the box and cleaned the blades real good? This should be done, say annually, IMO. Most bath exhaust fan units will allow the fan/blade unit to be removed without removing the complete box to facilitate cleaning. Vacuum the inside of the box also at this time and as much into the ducting as possible. Clean blades will definitely move more air. Before you start removing anything, try the "tissue test". Place one sheet of toilet tissue up against the fan housing to see if it will stay there with the fan running. Then try to pull it off, if it's really easy, the blades probably are dirty. Of course it it will not stay--you do have a problem.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #7

I take the plastic cover (grill?) down a couple times a year and wash it in the sink because it seems to collect dust. But I've never cleaned the blades up inside.

I just tried the tissue test and it does hold the tissue, but if I hold it about an inch away, it doesn't pull the tissue up.

I don't see any screws holding anything up there and can't see a way to remove the fan/blade unit. Is there a trick to it?

I used a toothbrush to get the dust off the motor and was able to reach it up inside a little bit to get most of the blades, but there are places that the toothbrush doesn't reach.

Barb
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
The toilet was new in 2007. It's made by Kohler.

The problem with it is that the tank sweats a lot. Except I don't think it does it in the summer months.

I read that the kits available for inside the tank to help this problem aren't very effective.

Can I buy the kind of tank that already has the foam formed to the inside? Or do I need to replace both parts of the toilet?

Barb
Not unless Kohler has modified that tank.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sweating toilet tank