Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |

Can I Put in an Exhaust Fan in this Bathroom?

I have a second floor condo in DC (small, 4-unit building). The bathroom has an old window that rotates on a center hinge (see photo), but no exhaust fan. Window does not open to the outside, however, but into a sky light shaft that goes down to the first floor. On the roof, it has open vents for air exchange.

I need to replace this window as mice enter any time I leave it open. My plan had been to replace the rotating window with a sliding type window that has a screen. But, instead, a friend suggested glass block with an exhaust fan in the middle that would dump air into the shaft.

Would this fan setup meet code? I've read you can't (and shouldn't!) vent a bath fan into the attic. This isn't an attic, but would the same principle apply? What's my best option in this situation?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I Put in an Exhaust Fan in this Bathroom?-bath-window.jpg  

DCcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

This would fall under HVAC, you can run a fan into an attic if the attic is vented (this is not code but many counties allow it)

jstring3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #3

Don't run fan into the attic and let it vent there. Lots of moisture there.

Last edited by mae-ling; 07-26-2012 at 12:32 AM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Can you run the vent hose all the way up to the top?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Can you run the vent hose all the way up to the top?
I probably could. The dryer vent passes through that shaft as well. But, running a vent hose all the way outside would involve a lot more work, including cutting new holes in the skylight fixture. I'd thought about using a Y-joint or something to connect a bath vent to the existing dryer vent so that I wouldn't have to mess with making new holes in the skylight. But, I've read that doesn't pass code either, so I've decided against it.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

You should get the mouse situation dealt with ASAP. They *will* chew through the surfaces inside that skylight column.

And you're right to avoid trying to share ducts with the dryer. That's burned combustion gas in there, carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly. The same thing applies with how close any other ducts would be to the dryer's exhaust.

How are the other bathrooms in the building vented?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You should get the mouse situation dealt with ASAP. They *will* chew through the surfaces inside that skylight column.

And you're right to avoid trying to share ducts with the dryer. That's burned combustion gas in there, carbon monoxide poisoning is deadly. The same thing applies with how close any other ducts would be to the dryer's exhaust.

How are the other bathrooms in the building vented?
I guess I'm not too worried about the mice eating though the skylight shaft. The walls are cement, so I don't think they'll get too far. Nonetheless, yes, I have thought of throwing some poison pellets or something down there (the bottom floor condo has actually blocked off their access to the skylight).

As for how the other units are vented, I don't know for sure, but I assume the other 2nd floor unit has the same window/skylight situation I have (the units are mirror images of each other). My downstairs neighbor also mentioned having a window in the bathroom, though it must be on an outside wall and configured slightly differently than mine since the skylight has been blocked off.