Can I Pipe My Ice Maker Off My RO Unit? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Can I pipe my ice maker off my RO unit?

I currently run a sink mounted RO unit with a 3g reservoir. Dear Husband would like to hook the ice maker in my fridge up to it. It seems easy enough to T off of the line from the reservoir and run it to the ice maker.

Here's my question: does the ice maker rely of house water pressure to fill? Will it be able to work with the relatively lower pressure that feeds from the RO tank?

FYI: this would be nice because our current brown ice is not very attractive (old galvanized pipes that are not going to get replaced this year).

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

You should be getting pretty good water pressure from the reservoir, but the more water that leaves the reservoir at a time, the lower the pressure would be. Unless there's something strange involving valves that require house pressure in the freezer, I'd say go for it.

Advertisement

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Cool - can't wait to have some sparkly clean ice cubes.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
deuce of all trades

Rewards Points: 10

Ours is set up this way, and it works just fine
lanispet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

The 3 gallon reservoir shoud be able to supply the fridge ice maker.

What is wrong with brown ice cubes, they should blend very nicely with cola drinks, just no Sprite

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-09-2008 at 10:15 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Still no clear ice - Aesthetically, the brown ice doesn't bother me. You can't even tell when it's in the house wine of the south. However, I am concerned that I am getting my yearly recommended allowance of iron every time I have an iced tea.

- Went to Blowes and got: 25 feet of icemaker line (1/4), brass compression fittings to connect to fridge, quick connect 1/4 tee, quick connect 1/4 inline shut off valve.
- I installed the tee in the line from the 'final filter' to the faucet, as per manufacturer. What a PITA to make a straight cut in the pex-type tubing on the RO unit.
- I had to drill a 1/2 hole in the bottom of the cabinet to run the line into the basement. Once I made it into the basement I ran the line through existing holes in the joists and back up to the fridge.
- Hooked everything up, turned the water back on, and water ran out of a relief exit in the faucet.

I called Manufacturer and got a real live person in Knoxville, TN. According to him, my install was correct but the faucet failed when I shut the water off and back on.

They are sending me a replacement faucet and asked that I send the old one back to them. Since he was so quick to offer the free replacement, and a quick internet search showed that they are no longer selling the 'old type' faucet, I am guessing there was some design flaw. I was impressed with their customer service and wouldn't hesitate to buy another product from them.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

Perhaps you need to cycle all of the "tea" from your freezer first? If the water coming from the RO and the end of the tube by the fridge is clear, then perhaps you have a ghost doing unspeakable things to your freezer.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

S-U-C-C-E-S-S. I was so excited that the new faucet worked that I pumped out 3 gallons to change the water out in my fish tank. Even as I type my RO unit is happily gurgling away, preparing for it's ultimate test - to make crystal clear ice cubes. Cubes so clear, that nature herself will cast her eyes in shame at her antarctic glaciers. Once the tank refills, I'm going to open my freezer, lift that weird little metal lever, and listen to the sound of success.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #9

I had a 3 stooges moment last night with mine. I got a new fridge a few years ago, and I used the "plastic" water supply line that can with the fridge. I have a "T" coming off the cold water under the sink, and ran the supply line through the cabinets (drilled holes), to get to the fridge (back of cabinets). I wanted a seperate shutoff valve for the ice maker under the sink, just incase the line were to ever rupture or break, I could turn this off, while still having water everywhere else. Last night, I noticed that the bottom of the cabinet was damp (particle board) and the particle board had started to swell. On closer inspection, I found there were "teeth" marks on the supply line from a mouse or rat, and it was leaking. Oh brother. Well, I went under the sink, and turned off the fridge supply line (the cutoff valve was less than 2 years old) I then decided to remove the supply line, so I could pick up another one the next day.

Well, when I removed the supply line, the water started "shooting" out from under the sink, across the kitchen! I had o fight to put that connection back on, knowing a slow leak was better than a gyser. I then had to shut of the entire house water supply until today. What had happened, the shut-off valve had gotten filled with all the hard water crust pieces, causing the valve to fail. What a mess! Well, this time, I used copper for the supply line, and installed a new valve to complete the project. What a night-mare!

BTW, I also put out some rat/mice poison. LOL
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.

FYI: here's a close-up of my latest glass of water.

Attached Images

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #11

Yup, quite a glass you got there.

Advertisement

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote