Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

Can I move my water heater?

I'd like to move my water heater to another corner of the basement because it's taking up a lot of valuable space. If I move it I'll be able to put an oil furnace as a backup system since I already have an electrical furnace.
I'm I allowed to put it where I want? Are there regulations concerning the distance between the water heater and ... the electrical panel or an electric furnace, an oil furnace or the sewer??(don't know for sure what's it's called), windows or exterior walls because of the cold or anything else? I'm in Canada, province of Quebec, city of Montreal. Any input would be gladly appreciated.
Anyone know where I can find the building code online for the province of Quebec or is it by city.. then Montreal.
Girly_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Is it gas or electric?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

forgot to mention that... it's electric
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

You might need to drain it first. It's awful heavy.

Ba-dum-dum.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Sure! Ba-Da-Bing!

Last edited by jagans; 03-16-2013 at 10:08 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You might need to drain it first. It's awful heavy.

Ba-dum-dum.

I don't know if you meant that as an insult (dum-dum part!!) but I AM offended!! Did you answer that because a girl is asking that question? Not as stupid as you may think if I'm thinking of doing it myself and reconnecting the plumbing and the electricity along with it! If it was meant as a joke you should have omitted the dum-dum part! Of course you have to empty it out duh! not even a man could move it around when it's full! And it's still heavy when it's empty I know I brought it in with a friend. I know!! That doesn't answer my question at all!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
call me E

A water heater requires access to the elements and other controls. It also requires an approved receptor to receive the T&P discharge.
You may not have this now and may be considered "grandfathered" into code compliance, but in my neck of the woods, when you alter piping or fixture locations- you must meet current code standards for T&P piping
I think electrical panels require 3' clearance in front and nothing above them- as in water lines- hope this helps some
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly_girl View Post
I don't know if you meant that as an insult (dum-dum part!!) but I AM offended!! Did you answer that because a girl is asking that question? Not as stupid as you may think if I'm thinking of doing it myself and reconnecting the plumbing and the electricity along with it! If it was meant as a joke you should have omitted the dum-dum part! Of course you have to empty it out duh! not even a man could move it around when it's full! And it's still heavy when it's empty I know I brought it in with a friend. I know!! That doesn't answer my question at all!!!

Alan was int being insulting its common to throw in a joke or smart Alec comment here and there, don't take it personally imagine your in a chat room with a bunch of plumbers, i personally think it great when a lady is not afraid to tackle challenging DYI project. this site has a bunch of great and knowledgeable people ready to help with great feed back, so don't get mad get working.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
Girly_girl (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

OT: Dressers, shelf units, and cabinets should also be unloaded prior to moving otherwise the weight of the contents can put added stress that cracks the wood joints.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
OT: Dressers, shelf units, and cabinets should also be unloaded prior to moving otherwise the weight of the contents can put added stress that cracks the wood joints.
What does this have to do with my question? I'm not asking about moving furniture and the damage it could do to the joists! I'm asking about things I have to consider if I move the water heater (which is in the basement) and regulations in the building code such as clearances to be observed and such.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Ok Ok... ba-dum-dum was a rimshot sound.

Anyway... You really shouldn't have any clearance issues. I'm not sure about what the codes say in canada, but where I live for an electric water heater, the only thing you do need is a 24" opening to the area where the water heater is. If it's located in an attic or a basement, you need to have a permanent light with a switch located near the opening.

Extending the water lines shouldn't be an issue. You can pretty much put them anywhere. Just use common sense.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Roofmaster

Regardless of whether you are female or male, black, red, green, or white, there was no way on earth that your question could have been answered with the information you posted. You posted no pictures of where you intended to place the water heater, no pictures of access to piping. No pictures of your breaker panel or available unused amperage in your panel, so what did you expect as an answer.

The only response could be what you got. You would have gotten the same response regardless of your gender or color, because of the information, or lack thereof, that you provided, unless of course you would prefer that we treat you extra special and with kit gloves because you are a girly girl. Is that what you really wanted?

I doubt it

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater