Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can i fit a motorized valve?

i have an old gas back boiler that is gravity fed for hot water and pumped for central heating. the hot water is getting 2 hot. i had a look and theres not stat on the hot water tank. i have a room stat that turns off the boiler and does the timeing. i want to know if i can fit a hot water tank stat that will turn a motorized valve so the hot water will stop heating? if i can do i need to use a three port one so i can divert the flow back to the tank or can i just put it to stop ?? the pump is alway on when the boilers running.

stevediy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Steve, are you in the UK? The system you describe sounds like it.
American plumbers might have trouble recognizing the words as they have different names for the parts. Their systems are probably a bit different to ours as well.
You might be better off trying this forum.
http://diynot.com/forums/

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevediy2009 View Post
i have an old gas back boiler that is gravity fed for hot water and pumped for central heating. the hot water is getting 2 hot. i had a look and theres not stat on the hot water tank. i have a room stat that turns off the boiler and does the timeing. i want to know if i can fit a hot water tank stat that will turn a motorized valve so the hot water will stop heating? if i can do i need to use a three port one so i can divert the flow back to the tank or can i just put it to stop ?? the pump is alway on when the boilers running.
What you want is a tempering valve on the domestic hot water tank hot outlet. This feeds fresh cold water into the hot water on its way to the faucets to lower the temperature.

There should be (maybe there already is) an aquastat, or thermostat that senses water temperature) inside the boiler. This is used to cycle the burner on and off to keep the boiler temperature fairly constant. The room thermostat cycles the pump on and off independently of the burner.

Yes you can put a thermostat (aquastat) inside the hot water tank to control a motorized check valve. Since you said that this circuit (either domestic water from the tank looping through the boiler or boiler water looping through the tank) is gravity flow, just a 2 port valve (open/close) is sufficient.

Water (adj.) back (n.) -- A heat exchanger, usually for heating fresh water; the process does not feed the cold water directly into the boiler and drain out boiler water for use as domestic hot water.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-19-2009 at 09:55 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote