Can I Extend The 3/4" Copper Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Can I Extend the 3/4" Copper Pipe?

I am about to install a double shower head in a shower and I was told that it requires a 3/4" water supply to do this.

The shower currently has 1/2" copper pipe, but the "main" pipes are 3/4" pipes and run only about 5 feet away from where the shower is.

The pipe to the shower curently "tees off" from a 3/4" and is a 1/2" pipe, so I was thinking of changing the split from a 1/2" to a 3/4" and run this line all the way to the shower.

Is there a limit on how many times a line can be split and extended without loosing too much water pressure?

The water pressure at my house is 60 psi, I'm not sure if that is normal, but it seems perfectly fine for other sinks and showers in the house.

Advertisement

froddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

There is no theoretical limit on the number of Tee’s used on a main – provided you are only asking for one of them to deliver at a time. In the real world, you may be in the shower and the toilet flushes – you get the picture. Then the question becomes the desired GPM per fixture.

With sixty PSI you should have no problem with your bathroom install. That’s my $0.02.

Anyone else?

Bob

Advertisement

Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks Bob!
I get the difference between theory and reality...makes perfect sense..and if someone flushes...I'd have to survive
I guess my concern is that if I would go through all the work of extending the pipes, and if we'd have really poor pressure and flow, it would be quite dissapointing

What are the options for dual showers/shower heads?
I was thinking two seperate valves would make sense to save water if only one would be used. Could I then split it to two 1/2" pipes?

Thanks again!

Fredrik
froddan is offline   Reply With Quote