Can I Do This W/a Dehumidifier? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can I do this w/a dehumidifier?

I need to install a dehumidifier in my basement, as it's musty smelling and some things in storage are getting mildew etc... I don't have a sink downstairs, but do have a 16" hole in the floor in the corner of the slab, it's new construction, 5 yrs old. When I bought the house, it tested a bit high for radon, so the former homeowner (seller) had a radon mitigation system installed. This consisted of covering up the aforementioned 16" diam. hole, and installing 4" pvc duct to an exterior fan which moves the air from the hole outside and up the side of the house to the second floor where it escapes. Note: there's no water in the basement, and it's never been wet...just humid, esp. this summer in upstate NY when we had a lot of rain.

Q: I want to install a dehumidifier that I won't have to physically empty by carrying the water upstairs to dump. I know there are models available that offer a drainage hose out the back. Can I cut a hole in the plastic cover to the radon system and drain there? The volume of water won't be that great, but last thing I want to do is flood the basement.

Option 2: about 3 feet off the floor of the basement is a 4" pvc trap that drains all waste water out of the house into the septic tank out back. I could theoretically put the dehumidifier on a shelf and drain slightly downhill to the trap, as it has a pcv clean-out which sits vertically that I could step down to accept a garden hose. I'm just concerned this might back up...

Any advice?

Advertisement

famdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 83

Cutting into the Radon system will most likely void it's usefulness, although I don't know for sure on that.

I would try the second idea personally, but others opinions on this would be needed.

Advertisement

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

The original reason for the 16" hole was probably for future installation of a sump pump. I would advise against altering the Radon system. Should you tie into the drainage system, you need a trap to prevent sewer gas from coming back into the humidifier.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Google little giant condensate pumps, they have many to chose from . 60$ and up. You could drain the humidifier into the pump and run the discharge out doors. As long as there is an outlet near-by you could place it anywhere. VCMA15UL - Little Giant Condensate Removal Pump

Last edited by plumcass; 10-30-2008 at 06:40 PM.
plumcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I was in Costco last week and they had a dehumidifier with a built in condensate pump. A little 3/4" hole out of the side of the band and problem solved.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #6

I meant dehumidifier. sorry
Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I would adapt into the clean out. Just keep it usable in case you ever need to jet out the pipe. You're not moving any great amount of water. Remember to put some kind of trap in your line or you'll have the septic tank fumes in your house.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

The problem with tying into the stack would be evaporation of the trap seal. I think if I were to do it that way I would install a trap primer too. Now the job is getting more complicated and expensive and if there are fixtures connected to this stack on the floor above it would require a vent.

Advertisement