DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I connect toilet drain to this drain pipe

17K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  al's sewer 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am planning to install a full bathroom in my basement, using part of my laundry room. I have a few questions that needs to be addressed before I proceed any further.

1. My laundry room is right below the power room. The drain pipe from the toilet in the power room terminates in the laundry room. I do not have a rough-in for a bathroom in my basement. However, I have these 3 pipes sticking out of the concrete floor, it is not logical for these 3 pipes to be rough-in because of the location and the setup. Can someone tell me what they are for? I have posted the pictures.

2. Can I connect the toilet that will be installed in the basement to the drain pipe coming from the power room? Since the drain pipe is already connected to a toilet in the power room, I am assuming it is already vented, and does not need to be vented again! Is my assumption correct?

3. I am looking to install a stand up shower. What is the average height of a bathroom with a stand up shower.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i think you are correct in everything that you are saying.
if i'm understanding properly i think the pvc caps (the white ones)
could be clean outs, open one up and flush water hose in it to make sure, as wella s flushing the bathroom upstairs and see if the water is in that same line. try to just flush water not any doodies that may fly out of the clean out
the Pvc was done under the concrete slab prior to poring the cement while the ABS (the black one) was done after the house was up
interesting project let me know if i'm right

#5 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply Kohnstruction,

Do you know what the piping sticking out of the concrete with the black cover is in the 1st and 2nd images? Just to confirm, Can I tap into the drainage coming from the second floor power room?

Thank you!
You can open the floor and tap into it, but you also need to incorporate a vent. Every fixture in the bath needs a vent, so try to run a conceptual vent system to gather up all of them.
Ron

#7 ·
Thanks Ron6519,

What I don't understand is, if the drainpipe for the toilet is already vented, and I am taping into it, why do I need to vent the drainage again. If venting, how would I go about venting from the basement?

Thanks
Every plumbing fixture needs to be vented to operate properly and is required by code.
How you run the pipes and where you run the pipes are based on you particular set up. You would need to follow your plumbing code to run the vent as well as drain and waste pipes.
In many areas, you would need to hire a plumber and he would need to file a permit for the job. If you can do the work, you would still need to file a permit to have a legal bath.
Ron

#8 ·
Uhhhh...
The black-capped pipe in the first and second picture is a backflow device, and it certainly cannot be "tapped" into. Your shower drain will need to flow through this backflow device if it is a basement shower. It helps prevent backups from the sewer from entering the home and backing up through the fixtures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.