DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I attach a toilet to sewer cleanout?

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
Can I use the clean-out at the bottom of my vertical stack to connect a rear outlet toilet?

There is a 4-inch cleanout spur at the bottom of my vertical sewer stack in my basement to which I would like to attach a toilet. I want to use a rear outlet toilet so that I don't have to bust up my foundation. I realize that the toilet will have to be raised (anyone know how far a toilet has to be from a vertical stack in Minnesota?) but I don't mind that. I haven't checked to see if I have a second property line cleanout. Can I do this? What are the downsides? Any suggestions?

#2 ·
This is not a good idea. Not only is it against code, but it will result in a toilet that is not vented. This carries the possibility that the trap in the toilet won't function properly and allow sewer gas into your house. Go ahead and break the floor and do it right, it isn't as hard as you might think.

#5 ·
Those toilets require special hanger systems, which are up into ~ 1000 dollar range. They take ~ 15" of depth in the wall after blocking and whatnot, and after that you still have to buy the toilet.

Not only that, but that would be considered a wet-vent, and fixtures discharging into a wet vent shall be within the same story as the wet vented fixture. You also can't discharge a toilet into a wet vent either.

I'm with these guys. A little concrete work and some proper fittings would probably be cheaper, easier, and DONE RIGHT! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.