Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Share |

Can gas valve get re red tagged

About two months ago tenant calls me up says he smells gas inside the house. I call the gas company and they found a leak. They put a red tag on the furnace. I went over there and saw a valve that was very old. My gas valve on the meter is now locked, so I go ahead and replace the valve on the furnace assuming that is where the leak is. Call the gas company for a re light and final inspection. All is well, no leaks anywhere. Final inspection was passed, the gas company re lights everything and tells me bye. So tenant calls me up today and says, gas company was here and they want the flex line moved into the furnace. I ask him if he called the gas company, why were they out again. I go over to the unit, remove the flex line, hard pipe- done. So my question is, would the gas company come back out again? They never said anything about the furnace at final inspection. I think the tenant is lonely and just wanted someone to talk too. Does this make any sense?

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

Makes sense to me. There are many lonely people out there, your tenant could have called them. As for red tagging it- each tech may red tag or pass different things. The first tech either didn't know or didn't care about flex going into the furnace. It is against my code, but I would never red tag for this. I would mention it, probably pink tag (just leaves a record that it was noticed, but doesn't alert the AHJ) but definitely not red tag and shut off because of this. It doesn't sound like it was even red tagged the second time, was there a second tag? If I red tagged every single little code violation, there wouldn't be many gas appliances left running after I layed eyes on them.

Last edited by hvac benny; 07-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

No second red tag. I replaced the valve, passed the final inspection and I thought that was that. The furnace was installed by one of the biggest contractors in town, why they left that old valve on is beyond me. I had a friend many many moons ago that would treat everyone with respect. Always listened to what was bothering them. Generally very nice guy. Sometimes I think I should be more robotic with tenants. This is not the first time things like this have happened.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote