Can It Be Dangerous To Cap A Drain? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Can it be dangerous to cap a drain?

I'm replacing an old cast iron p-trap with PVC and while I'm doing it, I thought about installing a Y joint to run another piece of 2" drain up to my top floor where I"ll be building another shower. I figured since I was already replacing the trap and tying it in to the cast iron drain, it would be a good time to go ahead and put in the Y joint since it'll have to be done anyway to tie in the new shower on the second floor.

My question is, should I put in the Y joint then cement a run of 2" drain and cap it off until I'm ready to start the upstairs shower (in about a month) or should I finish off the drain from the shower I'm working on and then in a month just cut it off and put in the Y joint then? I'm trying to save from having to go back over what I already worked on. I guess I'm concerned that it would either inhibit good drainage or maybe trap sewer gas. I'll try to take a photo to illustrate better.

Advertisement

jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Can it be dangerous to cap a drain?

There's no reason why you can't do that. Just make sure that the wye portion of the fitting has grade on it (check with a torpedo level for about 1/4 bubble)

Make sure you have enough pipe to glue to later.

The only other thing to do is make sure you're not cutting your wye inbetween the trap and the vent. That would constitute two traps on one trap arm, otherwise known as "Double trapping", which is illegal.

Advertisement