DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Camera Inspection Video Need Help! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/camera-inspection-video-need-help-148260/)

rl400 06-25-2012 08:50 PM

Camera Inspection Video Need Help!
 
So I had the sewer line in my building inspected. I got the plumbers opinion but Im looking to get as many opinions as I can becasue the work that is going to be done is going to cost thousands apparently. Im going to link it here but if you have any advice on where else to post it please let me know.

The building had backed up into the basement, we had the line snaked, one week later it backed up again. The company came back and resnaked but thinks the problem will persist. At this point we ordered a camera inspection and got a video on DVD.

What I am looking for is the type of pipe and any problems you notice, also curious about the section of white pipe that looks line PVC, but im not sure if it is becasue that should be the main sewer line out of the house.

Anyways here is the video, please let me know your thoughts!

http://youtu.be/sd_3tdb9r-8

TarheelTerp 06-25-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rl400 (Post 951600)
The building had backed up into the basement, we had the line snaked, one week later it backed up again. The company came back and resnaked but thinks the problem will persist.

It always does.

Quote:

At this point we ordered a camera inspection and got a video on DVD. I got the plumbers opinion but I'm looking to get as many opinions as I can becasue the work that is going to be done is going to cost thousands apparently.
What work was suggested by them?

Quote:

What I am looking for is the type of pipe and any problems you notice...
I notice what appears to be a lot of direction and elevation changes.

The 25 or so feet of pipe involved... is it all under the slab?
Or is tha in the ground outside of the building?

rl400 06-25-2012 09:21 PM

I was told the line was failing and it would need to be replaced or have a liner inserted. they also said i could have it jetted but it would not provide a permanent fix. They also told me the pipes were clay. Now the planes for the house say it is cast iron, well, at least the pipe within the house is cast iron.

I was told this was to the sewer. Any idea on the clean white section of pipe? is that pvc?

plummen 06-25-2012 11:50 PM

looks like cast to me up to atleast the pvc anyway,im confused about the mess of fittings around 24' mark.
yeah,I know the camera is upside down! :laughing:

TheEplumber 06-25-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rl400 (Post 951631)
I was told the line was failing and it would need to be replaced or have a liner inserted. they also said i could have it jetted but it would not provide a permanent fix. They also told me the pipes were clay. Now the planes for the house say it is cast iron, well, at least the pipe within the house is cast iron.

I was told this was to the sewer. Any idea on the clean white section of pipe? is that pvc?

I've seen a lot worse.
I quit watching after 4 min. All I saw was CI pipe and a pvc repair.
I don't see how that can be lined either, looked like you had a wye in there. I've never lined past a wye with success.

rl400 06-26-2012 08:46 AM

so its not clay? i was under the impression it was cast iron as well but the plumber thought it was clay... do you think having it jetted would be the best solution, or do you think it will need to be replaced?

TheEplumber 06-26-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rl400 (Post 951855)
so its not clay? i was under the impression it was cast iron as well but the plumber thought it was clay... do you think having it jetted would be the best solution, or do you think it will need to be replaced?

It appears to be CI up to about the 21'6" mark. There, you can see the thick wall of a clay joint.
I don't know what jetting will do for you. I don't see roots or grease.
The big hole at the end is interesting. Did the plumber say what that is?
Is that outside the house?

rl400 06-26-2012 10:14 AM

the plumber assumed that was in the street by the sewer, he didnt say much else.

plumberinlaw 06-26-2012 11:56 AM

Since I wasn't there when it was videoed some of my assumptions may be incorrect. It looks like the video starts at a vent stack cleanout goes under the floor in the basement in cast iron as it should be. The line shows a buildup of rust scale or minerals this can be cleaned up with a cable machine with a chain knocker or a high pressure jet. It looks like at 24' you get to the house cleanout and a 4" trap (that is the standing water in the pipe) the camera never made it past the trap which I suspect is against the wall where your sewer leaves the basement. I don't think the camera ever made it to your line in the yard or to the main so I have no opinion on your outside line. Was this a large national franchised rooter company?

TheEplumber 06-26-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumberinlaw (Post 951949)
Since I wasn't there when it was videoed some of my assumptions may be incorrect. It looks like the video starts at a vent stack cleanout goes under the floor in the basement in cast iron as it should be. The line shows a buildup of rust scale or minerals this can be cleaned up with a cable machine with a chain knocker or a high pressure jet. It looks like at 24' you get to the house cleanout and a 4" trap (that is the standing water in the pipe) the camera never made it past the trap which I suspect is against the wall where your sewer leaves the basement. I don't think the camera ever made it to your line in the yard or to the main so I have no opinion on your outside line. Was this a large national franchised rooter company?

I was wondering about the trap- never see them out here. IMO, it's a bad camera job- didn't look at much except trying to punch through the trap. Seems like the issue is beyond the trap in the yard.

rl400 06-26-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumberinlaw (Post 951949)
Since I wasn't there when it was videoed some of my assumptions may be incorrect. It looks like the video starts at a vent stack cleanout goes under the floor in the basement in cast iron as it should be. The line shows a buildup of rust scale or minerals this can be cleaned up with a cable machine with a chain knocker or a high pressure jet. It looks like at 24' you get to the house cleanout and a 4" trap (that is the standing water in the pipe) the camera never made it past the trap which I suspect is against the wall where your sewer leaves the basement. I don't think the camera ever made it to your line in the yard or to the main so I have no opinion on your outside line. Was this a large national franchised rooter company?

yes, this was rotor rooter. The house is in a city so there is only a sidewalk infront of the house and then the street, not sure if that changes anything. Should the camera have been sent through the trap?

plummen 06-26-2012 03:32 PM

Call rectal rooter thats the name,watch your wallet go down the drain! :laughing:

rl400 06-26-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plummen (Post 952067)
Call rectal rooter thats the name,watch your wallet go down the drain! :laughing:

i got screwed over by a local guy, but hey, if anyone knows of a good plumber near hudson county nj im open to it switching to someone else

rl400 06-26-2012 07:44 PM

should there be water in that trap? I would guess yes, but maybe not that much? I'll be calling them tomorrow to try and get them to come back out here to get us a video going through the trap, at 450 buxs i would have expected a complete job.

plumberinlaw 06-27-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rl400 (Post 952060)
yes, this was rotor rooter. The house is in a city so there is only a sidewalk infront of the house and then the street, not sure if that changes anything. Should the camera have been sent through the trap?

their techs/salesmen work on commission the more they sell the more they make, there is a lot of pressure on those guy to sell no matter what. Some are honest some are not. I would suggest looking for a experienced service plumber hopefully with 20+ years of experience. It is difficult to get a camere thru the trap especially from 24' away. Going thru the cleanout above the trap with the right camera it is doable. I did not see anything in the video that needed to be replaced


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.