Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

Cable through drain pipe

Cable guy drilled and ran cable through the drain pipe (see pics). Anybody know how much the plumbing would cost to fix? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cable through drain pipe-imgp1723.jpg   Cable through drain pipe-imgp1726.jpg  
muggyfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #2

Cable through drain pipe

OMG...that's awesome! Not really but the dumb luck to have a cable jack right through the middle of the pipe!

This site isn't for pricing...that's what the local pros are for. Do you have a quote and want someone to help determine if it's in line?

If you want to tackle the project yourself we're all willing to jump in and give you "a hand." For starters you'll need a socket saver, to remove the stub in the fitting, then add a piece back in with an abs coupler.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

Cable through drain pipe

Is the cable company still in business? I would be giving them a call and have them come and fix it including pulling the cable out if the pipe which could cause a clog that would back up into the house.

No response from the company. Call the Better Business Bureau. No response. Take you pictures to small claims. It really gets their attention.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
DIY'er

Cable through drain pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post

If you want to tackle the project yourself we're all willing to jump in and give you "a hand." For starters you'll need a socket saver, to remove the stub in the fitting, then add a piece back in with an abs coupler.

Could he cut the pipe just below and then just above where the wire goes in and put in a new piece of pvc with fernco's? I was planing on doing something very similar myself to add in an additional drain line.

Otherwise, I know it's know of a hack job, but could he just get it really nice and dry, maybe with a heat gun and patch that tiny hole with JB weld putty?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

Cable through drain pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Could he cut the pipe just below and then just above where the wire goes in and put in a new piece of pvc with fernco's? I was planing on doing something very similar myself to add in an additional drain line.
It doesn't appear to have enough space on the lower end to get a good grip. I really only like ferncos as a last resort...not that I've had any problems...just like the "real" way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Otherwise, I know it's know of a hack job, but could he just get it really nice and dry, maybe with a heat gun and patch that tiny hole with JB weld putty?
Don't know...I really dislike JB weld...never had good luck with it. I wouldn't do it inside a wall cavity like this. I wouldn't want to come back in a few years because..."there's this smell in the room...."

As I think of it...a fitting cut in half glued over the top of the pipe could do the trick with out removing the original pipe.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Eibwen

Cable through drain pipe

Wow... And the cable guy probably charged ya for doing that!

Looks like just a drain with no pressure..

I would clean the hole up to the next tap size, tap in a plastic plug with some waterproof expoxy. Keep the length of the plug so that it doesnt protrude inside the pipe and become an obstruction for debris later on.

Leave it dry overnight then cut off smooth on the outside and apply another coat of expoxy.

Position your cable tv wall plate so you can see the hole later just to check it.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #7

Cable through drain pipe

I would accept nothing less than a paid-in-full repair by a licensed plumber, courtesy of the cable company. Did they just install this or was it found during a remodel?

If you can't hold the cable company liable for whatever reason, I'd still fix it correctly. It is an easy fix and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. They'll simply cut out a small section of pipe and glue in a new one.

I wouldn't accept a "plugged" repair if it was my house. You'll never regret doing it right. You might regret cutting corners.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote