I have an upstair bathroom which I develope a pin hole leak in a pipe in the shower. It took a wet spot in the lower ceiling to discover it. We've had a smell for about a year (moldy nasty smell) tried things thinking it had to be a drain issue. Never constant? We have had the insurance agent over and he recommended a service company to dry and nuetralize the smell. $1200. And based on what they say will determine whether they pay. He thinks it was a one time incident not a maintence issue and this determines the coverage. I am leery of him all of a sudden recommending this company to come and do work and then he tells me afterwards whether or not it is covered. Any thoughts? If the subflooring is not ruined what can I do to dry it out? And nuetralize odor? I have a hole in the wall behind th eshower already and one in the ceiling below. I assume the ceiling is plywood and wonder board being the floor above is tile. I need help my wife want s to believe the insurance guy I am not ready to drop $1200 on a fan and some powder.
If you have had an odor for a year I would strongly consider removing all sheetrock, damaged flooring and moulding. Mold is there to be sure. After demo, you (or a plumber) will be able to do the proper repairs.