Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
sab

Share |

Burst of cold water while taking a shower

While taking a hot shower, I will get a burst of ice cold water. It only lasts a couple seconds. This occurs only once or twice during a 10 minute hot shower. And, there are no other appliances in the house using water during this time. What could this mean?

sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

While taking a hot shower, I will get a burst of ice cold water. It only lasts a couple seconds. This occurs only once or twice during a 10 minute hot shower. And, there are no other appliances in the house using water during this time. What could this mean?

sabsabsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #3

Why did you sign up 2x to ask the same question ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #4

1. Your shower faucet assembly may have an anti-scald feature that has a hiccup every once in awhile, blending in cold water unnecessarily.

2. There may be an expansion tank on the outlet (hot) side of the water heater and slight changes in water pressure can cause a slug of cooler water to come out into the line. (The expansion tank is necessary and should be on the cold side. Normally it is partly filled with water)
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
fabrk8r

What type of water heater do you have? Is it a conventional tank type heater or a tankless on-demand type?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
What type of water heater do you have? Is it a conventional tank type heater or a tankless on-demand type?
Betting on the tankless.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
fabrk8r

Yep, me too...sounds like the dreaded "Cold Water Sandwich".

I have to say though that after installing my tankless on-demand water heater several months ago I would never go back to a conventional tank-type water heater. The only time I've experienced the cold water sandwich is when I have the dishwasher and washing machine running at the same time that I'm taking a shower. The only reason it happened is because i wanted to see if I could make it happen. Even then, it was just for about one second and wasn't the traumatic event I've heard it made out to be. In the real world I don't have two water using appliances running when I take a shower.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #8

All tankless heaters have a high temp safety limit switch.It sounds like you have a natural draft unit with the flame set to high for the amount of gpm you are using. If it is a direct vent or so called "Smart Unit" I would look into the flow sensor. I have been a tech for www.eztankless.com 2 years.

plumberbob is offline   Reply With Quote