Broken Wye! Why? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Broken wye! Why?

Obvious leak on popcorn ceiling. Cut it open and found this:

First off, What is the best way to go about repairing this? Do I need to cut the Y out, and if so, how do I extend the pipes to reach a new one once they've been cut?

Secondly, what could have caused this? When I took the ceiling down I didn't see the missing chunk of PVC. Do you suppose this happened when they built the house and just went with it? The ceiling doesn't appear to have been cut before and the tub this pipe is on is original.

All comments are welcome.

Sid

Advertisement

SonicSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

Broken wye! Why?

They may have stressed that during the tub install---I don't see primer or even solvent on the remains---more than one problem with that section.

Un screw the trap adapter to the tub---and replace the entire assembly---a Fernco coupling (rubber boot) might be needed in order to insert the new Y fitting.

Advertisement

SonicSid (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Broken wye! Why?

Thanks Mike,

I agree that the entire assembly probably needs changed. The problem is, and it's hard to tell from the angle of the photograph, but the trap adapter from the tub doesn't route directly to the trap. There is another coupling coming from two sinks set at 90 degrees to each other in this bathroom. The whole thing snakes around above the ceiling/floor joist seen on the right side of the photo.

It may be easier to understand if I rotate the photo...

I'd rather disconnect one of the couplings marked A,B or C and go from there if at all possible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to argue. Professional advice is what I came for. It's just that there is a mess up there and I'd like to stay as far away from it as possible.

It's too bad they don't make a 2" male/female coupling. I could saw off right at the end of each pipe in the Y and make up what I lost.
SonicSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Broken wye! Why?

Bitter pill to swallow, but I would get someone who’s done this a few time before, don’t recommend using any type of rubber couplings to make any type of connection on a second floor, should be hard coupled all the way through. That section can be reconfigured to take the stress off the pipe and realign the tub drain, may look complicated but relatively easy fix to an experienced plumber.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,562

Broken wye! Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSid View Post
Thanks Mike,

I agree that the entire assembly probably needs changed. The problem is, and it's hard to tell from the angle of the photograph, but the trap adapter from the tub doesn't route directly to the trap. There is another coupling coming from two sinks set at 90 degrees to each other in this bathroom. The whole thing snakes around above the ceiling/floor joist seen on the right side of the photo.

It may be easier to understand if I rotate the photo...

I'd rather disconnect one of the couplings marked A,B or C and go from there if at all possible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to argue. Professional advice is what I came for. It's just that there is a mess up there and I'd like to stay as far away from it as possible.

It's too bad they don't make a 2" male/female coupling. I could saw off right at the end of each pipe in the Y and make up what I lost.
wye needs replaced....they make repair cupplings for that ..no stop in it...not a bad repair...cut couple inches on both sides of wye,and cut pipe to trap....using repair cupplings 3 total...use primer and glue reinstall.. new wye and cupplings
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,522

Broken wye! Why?

It does look like the glue was very sparse. It might be possible to break the fitting out and put in a new one. Otherwise cutting is the only option.

Advertisement

Last edited by joed; 09-06-2012 at 08:56 AM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote