Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Broken underground supply line

For the last several weeks ive noticed the ground is very wet right where i think the water supply line enters the house. Weve had very little rain in the last two months so its very noticable.

Today its gone from a 4 foot diameter wet spot to about double that size. The house is a 1950s ranch with a finished basement in northern illinois. What can i expect to find once i start digging? The water supply line enters the house thru the floor of the basement so the supply line has to be at least that deep, correct?

Im contemplating doing the digging myself and then having a plumber come out and do the actual repair. Any thoughts?

Eds_tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds_tls View Post
For the last several weeks ive noticed the ground is very wet right where i think the water supply line enters the house. Weve had very little rain in the last two months so its very noticable.

Today its gone from a 4 foot diameter wet spot to about double that size. The house is a 1950s ranch with a finished basement in northern illinois. What can i expect to find once i start digging? The water supply line enters the house thru the floor of the basement so the supply line has to be at least that deep, correct?

Im contemplating doing the digging myself and then having a plumber come out and do the actual repair. Any thoughts?
go to your water meter area make sure nothing is on in the house ..listen and see if you can hear water running.....good chance you will hear a hissing noise..... so you will know line is leaking.....or just start digging..... water is there from some source ...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

I wouldn't be waiting, I would be digging now, so that you can repair it. Right now, cities in a lot of the country are shutting people off that are wasting water, due to the restrictions because of the drought.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote