DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Broken tub drain, need info on special tool for removing (

papason 02-15-2012 03:03 PM

Broken tub drain, need info on special tool for removing
I did a search and cant believe this has not been discussed. They make a a tool that fits inside the tub drain and will expand to fit and then turn out the drain, will also install I guess.

The cross hairs broke off in mine and I need something other than cuttting it out. Has anyone used one of these tools? My drain is 2 inches and one I found only goes 1 1/2 . Drain key is one.
Found another called master drain remover? from leatherby tools. lots of u tube and face book on it but nothing on where or how to buy. Kinda strange. Saw one that looked smooth so wondered if it would grab well enough. This puppy is gonna be stubborn I think. might be 60 years its been on there.
Finaly found a Rigid brand looks a bit difffernt but might work. the info is unclear and they claim home depot sells it but mine does not. It might be the cheapes one but dont know the price and would like to know if it works well.

joecaption 02-15-2012 03:08 PM

Lowes and Home Depot have them. It's called an internal pipe extractor.
If not any real plumbing suppy should have one.

broox 02-15-2012 04:10 PM

I have a rigid brand that works very well. It is rigid model 342. I googled it and that is exactly what I have. Around here, middle TN, they do not sell these in Lowes/Home Depot. You say you can't/won't cut it out. Sometimes there is no other way: The female threads that the strainer is screwed into will turn under the tub. Just a thought. Good Luck!

jaydevries 02-15-2012 08:05 PM

i have the ridgid also but i like the rectorseal one best for stubborn drains

jaydevries 02-15-2012 08:14 PM

also i used to use a small cold chisel and hammer by hitting on inside top edge backing out drain counter clock wise must me careful not to slip and chip tub this is when the ridgid would not budge them and before i got the rectorseal brand tool

papason 02-15-2012 11:09 PM

Thanks guys.
i would will cut it out if the tool does not work, it seems the best idea to try first. I had not found the rectorseal so thanks for that, I will call in the morning about it. I did find another one called ezxtractor 45 bucks. Also seen the rigid but it was 75. Not knowing anything about any of them Most people dont know they exist let alone what is good with them.

Lowes sells a drain key but only goes to inch and a half. Mine drain is almost 2

jaydevries I will try the chisel route second.

papason 02-26-2012 01:09 AM

For time and price i purchased and ezExtractor. it said would work with a 2 inch drain. Kinda did and kinda not. Only worked after much cutting and with help from manufacter sugestion, of using at an angle, I got the drain out.
Now I need to find a 2 inch drain. did not know before hand this would be a problem.
I like the tool by the way, but need a bit smalller drain or pipe.

plummen 02-26-2012 03:58 AM

Ive never seen a tool like that ,interesting! :thumbsup:
If I cant get it out with my dumb bell I just use my dremel with a cut off wheel :)

jaydevries 02-26-2012 07:46 AM

a plumbing warehouse might be able to help you if not find a franchise that does the tub liners they should have about 20 thread adapters to convert to a new drain or you can replace drain shoe

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1