Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Broken toilet flange *pics inside* Please Help

Long time reader, first time posting...

We were replacing the toilet in our hall bathroom and the darn toilet flange broke. I've included a few pictures of the situation. That's a rag stuffed in the pipe on account of the lady of the house being worried about "the sewer gas". I'm praying that we don't have to tear up the floor to fix this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and God bless.

-Dan

Last edited by Dan78; 08-26-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Pictures were way too big, made them smaller
Dan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #2

get yourself one of these http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools.../dp/B000ANWS02 or these http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...dimensions.jpg or something really similar, all hardware stores carry them. Screw it to the floor really good, wax ring, and done

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
get yourself one of these http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools.../dp/B000ANWS02 or these http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...dimensions.jpg or something really similar, all hardware stores carry them. Screw it to the floor really good, wax ring, and done
The floor is concrete covered in tile, is it ok to screw into that? And thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by Dan78; 08-26-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added a thank you
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
The floor is concrete covered in tile, is it ok to screw into that?
Yes, use a masonary drill bit and secure it with tapcon screws (the blue ones) or use lead anchors and regular screws
Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #5

You screen name is right on the money, because you are, in fact, THE MAN . I have another quick question though. The guy at Home Depot sold us this thing:

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/R...ush-Tite.VZ8US

Would this be a viable solution and would we need to remove the remnants of the broken flange before installing or can it go right in to the broken flange? Also it would it still need to be screwed into the concrete? Thanks.

Last edited by Dan78; 08-26-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added second part to question
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
You screen name is right on the money, because you are, in fact, THE MAN . I have another quick question though. The guy at Home Depot sold us this thing:

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/R...ush-Tite.VZ8US

Would this be a viable solution and would we need to remove the remnants of the broken flange before installing or can it go right in to the broken flange? Also it would it still need to be screwed into the concrete? Thanks.
IMO, the sioux chief product is the way to go provided it fits tight inside your pipe.
Yes, you will need to remove any existing flange that interfers with the new one. It needs to sit directly on the slab and must be anchored to the floor. If you don't the toilet will wobble and possibly leak. Be sure to line up the flange slots to match the toilet
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Yes, you will need to remove any existing flange that interfers with the new one.
The lady of the house is telling me she's unsure of what parts of the flange you mean exactly . She's asking if you mean the part of the flange inside the pipe or the upper lip portion where the break occurred or both. I said as long as the new one fits snug inside the old one, then the part of the old flange inside the pipe is fine but the lip might interfere with how it sits.

Last edited by Dan78; 08-27-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 08-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #8

What Eplumber was talking about was the part that is broken, above the floor. The gasketed ones need to be able to seat all the way down and the old flange can keep it raised too much. I like the gasketed ones, but only on 4" pipe. I think that the opening on the 3" ones is too small and you'll be augering the toilet way too often. The advantage is that it creates a seal to the pipe, while the quick ring should be caulked to prevent leaking. Whichever way you go, anchor it well so the toilet doesn't rock. Oh, and I know I'm THE MAN, my handle tells me every morning

Tags
broken, closet, flange, plumbing, toilet