DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Broken toilet flange - concrete floor

69K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  plumber Jim 
#1 ·
I had to remove a toilet in my basement in order to have a perimiter drainage system installed. The flange has disintegrated. There is no clearance between the rusted flange and the concrete floor. What are my repair options? I purchased a PVC replacement flange that is supposed to seal to the inner diameter of the existing iron pipe but 1) the floor is now uneven and 2) I need to screw the flange into the floor once it's installed in the pipe. I'm thinking I'll have to remove a section of the existing floor larger than the footprint of the toilet, cut (break?) off the old flange and either pour new concrete or install a "deck" of some other material. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Photos of the floor area, rusted flange and replacement flange are attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First-I do not believe you will have to bust out any concrete to make this repair. Someone with more knowledge of this situation will come back with a better answer. I have made a repair of this type situation using a "repair flange", (just a flat, metal, flange), and a thin wax seal. After cleaning the broken floor flange (wire brush, rags) I set the thin wax seal down and the new repair flange on this. I then used something like "Tapcon" screws to secure it into the concrete floor. Once this was set in, the toilet bolts can be put in, a new thick wax seal used, the toilet put in, and if necessary, shims used to level the toilet.
This may not be the best solution, but it worked for me. Good Luck, David

#3 ·
It's your choice whether to screw the flange to the concrete floor and attach the toilet to the flange, or to screw the toilet directly to the floor possibly going through holes lined up in the flange.

1. The toilet and replacement flange and drain pipe all need to be kept in position so the seal is not broken.

2. The toilet should be fastened securely it does not move and break the seal mentioned above.

3. I never understood how, all these years, toilets attached to nothing but the original cast iron flange stayed in place without having the flange break.

#6 ·
after looking at that a little closer it looks lke you don't have the right flange that will work with what i described.you can chip out the concrete around that flange, about a couple inches all the way around and use an inside cutter and remove the old one and install a new one. a local plumber that can see it in front of him would know best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.