DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Broken floor flange for toilet

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  nacko 
#1 ·
The flange to which my toilet is bolted is broken off even withthe floor. The metal pipe to which the flange was connected extends down into my slab. I think the flange may have broken because we added ceramic tile to the floor (It was initially covered with vinyl) causing the flange to be lower than it should. What can I now do?:confused: Billy

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Billy and welcome to the site!

. I think the flange may have broken because we added ceramic tile to the floor (It was initially covered with vinyl) causing the flange to be lower than it should. What can I now do?

I'm trying to follow what you mean here, but it's not making sense. If you took up laminate and installed ceramic, it should have raised not lowered the toliet. Any chance you got a picture of the problem you could let us take a look at?

If there's a real plumber in the house please chime in! I have a plumber on staff, but it's not my forte really.

#4 ·
housedocs said:
Hello Billy and welcome to the site!

. I think the flange may have broken because we added ceramic tile to the floor (It was initially covered with vinyl) causing the flange to be lower than it should. What can I now do?

I'm trying to follow what you mean here, but it's not making sense. If you took up laminate and installed ceramic, it should have raised not lowered the toliet. Any chance you got a picture of the problem you could let us take a look at?

If there's a real plumber in the house please chime in! I have a plumber on staff, but it's not my forte really.
Thanks for the reply. You're right, the ceramic DID raise the toilet, but this caused the flange to be lower than the top of the tile. The toilet sits on top of the tile, but the flange sits on top of the concrete slab. I'm sorry I don't have anyway of taking a picture.

#6 ·
Its no problem

I'm not a plumber but i seen Rich T. on ask this old house go into a homeowner house with the exact problem he fixed it. There is some kind of special part designed for that at a plumber supply house. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

#7 ·
The quickest way to resolve this problem is to go to your nearest plumbing supply, or maybe an Ace Hardware, tell them your problem, and they will sell you what you need and give you the directions to accomplish it. Not to worry, it's not really that big of a problem. If by chance they fail you, just post that information and I will be happy to e-mail you a sure solution.

#8 ·
to tall tile

i am not sure but it sounds like you raised the floor up. is the flange broke? i think maybe you need to buy two not one wax rings the kind that has the plastic horn on itand stack them on top off each other in other words you rsised the floor ,making the wax seal to short,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.