Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Share |

Broken Cast Iron Flange

I was attempting to re-install my toilet when the flange broke. The flange is cast iron and is welded using lead. Should I attempt to remove the flange? If so how? I would much rather avoid removing the flange....is there a way to do that? Is there a product I can install over the existing flange? Also, on one side of the flange, the floor is rotted which will make it difficult for me to be able to secure a new fixture with screws to the floor. Can I brace underneath the floor? The current flange does not have screws in it holding it to the floor. Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated....I have been without a toilet for two days! Thank you The first picture is the view looking up the pipe from the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken Cast Iron Flange-cam00797.jpg   Broken Cast Iron Flange-cam00798.jpg  

katie00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

Broken Cast Iron Flange

If your just looking for a patch and not fix this right and may have the tiles crack, or the toilet fall through the floor use something like this.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?...ORM=HURE#x0y59

Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Broken Cast Iron Flange

I posted to this forum because I DONT know how to fix it the right way....that is why I was asking for help. I am a woman with no plumbing experience and I thought that I might be able to gain some knowledge from people who do have experience
katie00132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #4

Broken Cast Iron Flange

Purchase what Joe posted and screw it in with wood screws across the broken part of the flange. Or you could use the wood screw bolts for toilets. Floor must be solid to work in either case not rotted.
http://www.amazon.com/LDR-503-3130-T.../dp/B000FPCF08
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Broken Cast Iron Flange

The right way would be to remove and replace the flooring and get rid of all the old steel drains and supplys.
Short of that you need longer screws and some 2 X 4's lay flat under the flooring to attach the repair ring to.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
DIY staff

Broken Cast Iron Flange

As the others have said---use a steel repair ring---they are available at the home depot--there is a full ring with wider side screw tabs that will allow you to hit the wood floor without having to drill into the iron flange---pick up a plain all wax ring and pack the new ring with the extra wax before installing another ring and the toilet.