Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #1

Share |

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

I am in the process of replacing old vinyl with new Tile in the bathroom, so I had to pull up the Toilet. Unfortunately, when trying to loosen the nuts on the bolts holding the toilet in place, the flange edges broke. Turns out tree roots followed the outside of my sewage pipe, tunneled through the wax, and got into the pipe. The concrete subfloor around the flange is weak and crumbling from water damage. The edges of the flange where the bolts were have broken, and are bent up (hard to see in the picture).

The existing Flange seems to be ABS plastic 4" diameter sitting around a 4" ABS pipe. The pipe itself is 4" deep before it starts turning towards the wall.

Here's where I need advice. From what I've read, it seems I can either try to put a Super Ring on top of the existing flange, which means I need to bend back the edges that are bent up.

Alternatively, it seems I can get a flange that fits inside of the existing flange/pipe, which would also require bending the edges back into place. Since my floor is raising since I'm installing new tile, this seems like it could have benefits. However, there's this ~1/2" ring extending above the flange rims that seems to be part of the flange, though the flanges that I find now are flat on top. Is this some old style, or is that top ring not part of the flange itself? I didn't want to just start hitting it, since I'm scared of breaking the pipe, which I hear is a HUGE problem.

Also, if anyone knows tiling too, would I cut the tile to fit around the flange, or if I'm going the inside-pipe flange route, would I sit the 2nd flange right on the tile?

Thanks in advance

*Edit - seems I didn't attach my image correctly

Last edited by mnemy; 08-22-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: seems I didn't attach my image correctly
mnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Is this a slab floor, or is there access below the floor?
If it's a slab and this was my job I would cut out that whole area and cut the pipe off where it's straight and redo the elbow and leave a stub out sticking up with felt expansion strip wrapped around it . Repore new concrete around the stub out.
Once hard install a new flange with a stainless steel ring, not plastic that slides inside the pipe.
That way you would have something solid to screw the flange down to.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Yep, it's a slab. So you're saying I should break apart the surrounding cement, and cut the pipe right before it starts to curve and start from scratch? Man, I was hoping I wouldn't need to dig out cement. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

So, I'm trying the super ring route first because I'm ill equipped to bang out all that concrete. I sawed through the existing flange to remove the parts that are bent up, leaving 3 anchor holes on both the top and bottom halves of the old flange. In doing so, I've scraped away quite a bit of old crumbling cement that the water damage + tree roots weakened. I've noticed that directly around the sewage pipe is very fine dirt/sand, not concrete. Was this something done on purpose to somehow protect the ABS pipe? Or did the tree roots bring it in? When I pour new cement to repair the gap, do I need to coat the pipe with sand first?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Neato... You said the current flange is female and glued outside your 4 inch abs? If that is the case install a 3 inch female ABS flange after cutting it flush to the floor inside your 4 inch.
Also cut your roots out of your sewer and find where the hole is in your pipe.. They got in somewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/CLOSET-FLANGE-...d_sim_sbs_hi_6

You may have to chip a bit of concrete around the four inch so new flange is flush with floor.

DO NOT MIX THE PLASTICS and USE black ABS glue. And secure the flange with tapcons.

Tile around the flange not under it. If your replacing the toilet use this http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Inc-FTS...d_sim_sbs_hi_1

Instead of a wax ring/

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-22-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Thanks for the reply! Yep, the existing flange sits around the outside of the pipe.

So, you're saying I can simply cut through that top bump on the top of the flange? I couldn't find a name for it since modern flanges don't have it, but it's about 1/2" tall above the flange ring. Would I just use a hacksaw for that?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #7

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Found this product useful ....http://set-rite.com/ (watch the video)

Because you NEVER have enough room .........
See my Trailer and Hitch Thread
CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #8

Broken ABS Toilet Flange

Use a sawzall with a hack saw blade.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote