Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #1

Share |

Broken ABS flange on toilet sewer

I have a leak around the stool base. Turns out 1 bolt was loose. Found that the flange was broken, probably over torqued at installation. I believe that the flange material is ABS as it is black. It appears that the flange is one piece and inserted and sealed/glued too the sewer line down about 3 or 4 inches below the flange, My hand too big to tell for sure if it is. I need advice on how to repair it. Would greatly appreciate any help.
Merry Christmas
RD

rogerdoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

That's ABS pipe, Best way is to cut it off under the floor and install a new one.
May need a short piece of ABS pipe and a hubless connector to use as a coupling.
You could also cut it off flush with the floor and use one of these.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=21

Last edited by joecaption; 12-24-2012 at 11:54 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #3

If it's only the slots/ears that hold the bolts that are cracked or broken, you could use "closet lag screws" (5/16" machine screw on one end, and wood screw on the other end) to secure the toilet directly to the floor/subfloor.

The broken flange remains in place, and the bolts are replaced with the screws I described. Drill pilot holes into the floor/subfloor through the slots (after carefully measuring to make sure they're centered where they belong); screw the closet lags into the pilot holes, and re-install the toilet with a new wax ring. Make sure the screws are either brass or stainless steel.

If the funnel portion (the area surrounding the drain pipe within the inside diameter of the wax ring) of the flange is broken or cracked, then you need to replace it as joecaption described.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
DIY staff

One of these should work
Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Judging by the fact that the OP says the flange is "sealed/glued" to the rest of the toilet pipe, I gather the entire pipe is ABS?

If it has a different type of pipe after the flange, there are other replacement flange options.

Also, one of the flange repair pieces posted above would be worth a shot.
stephen9666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

I just use one of these from home depot.
Every situation is different, and could be a different fix for each case.
Here is good example where the fix I post may not be good.
If you are redoing a tile floor in the bathroom, you bolt this flange to the hardibacker and then tile to new flange, works perfect.

If you have vinyl floor and set flange on top of floor, then will sit proud of floor and not flush.

On some toilets will not mater, on some, the toilets, will sit proud of floor 1/8" and then need to shim it ... yes, they sell toilet shims, then silicone under it.

But I do prefer this method if it will work in this particular need. Is simple to install, positive seal and end of problem.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I will look into using the repair flange that oh'mike suggested and maybe use the "closet lag" as Iasmael recommended. I also thought about possibly filling the are with two part epoxy after making sure of the bolt location. There is a finished ceiling below, so trying to avoid cutting it off and doing the job "right".

Thanks again!
rogerdoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoris View Post
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I will look into using the repair flange that oh'mike suggested and maybe use the "closet lag" as Iasmael recommended. I also thought about possibly filling the are with two part epoxy after making sure of the bolt location. There is a finished ceiling below, so trying to avoid cutting it off and doing the job "right".

Thanks again!
Just last week I used the repair flange Oh'mike picture(the one on the left). It took 5 minutes to install- done deal

oh'mike (12-26-2012)