Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Broke pop up drain stop

So I have absolutely no experience when it comes to anything plumbing related, but interested to see if this is something I can fix on my own without calling out a plumber.

I have a master bath that has two of those glass bowl sinks on each side of the counter top. The left one is the one I usually use, and in my recent attempt to unclog the drain, I seemed to have broken the drain stop in some way to the point where it looks like it needs to be replaced. So that's my first problem.

The second sink on the right works fine and I hardly ever use it, but it has a leak coming from one of the pvc pipes underneath. So I'm hoping to take care of both of these. I'll dive in with pics and questions.

Went to Home Depot - and I see the exact same drain stopper kit as what looks to be used here. I'm thinking I can just buy that and replace it.

1.) I'm surprised that there's no seal other than the rubber between the sink, counter top, and rest of the kit underneath the counter. Is this right? It looks like even in the instructions of the kit they don't mention using any sort of caulking. Guessing the pressure just keeps it all together?

2.) You can see in one of my pictures, the pvc pipe disconnected. I just unscrewed the knob and took out the straight pvc pipe part with the stainless steel cylinder that's in it (it's the picture of me holding the pvc pipe and stainless steel part against a white wall). It looks like the bottom part of this stopper kit just attaches into the pvc pipe not with any sort of sealant but some sort of rubber washer inside that keeps it 'vacuumed' in, if that makes sense. Guessing I can just reuse this pvc part?

3.) Reattaching the white pvc pipe to the part it was disconnected from, do I just tighten the plastic knob and it'll maintain the seal as well?

That's it for the left sink.

For the right sink, I attached a picture of the intact pvc pipes underneath the sink. The leak seems to be coming from the curved part somewhere. I could not isolate it but I think it's the connection at either end of the curved "C" shaped PVC pipe. Not sure what to do to fix this or if I have to swap out all these pieces altogether?

Pretty novice when it comes to all this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Broke pop up drain stop-photo-2.jpg   Broke pop up drain stop-photo-3.jpg   Broke pop up drain stop-photo-4.jpg   Broke pop up drain stop-photo-5.jpg   Broke pop up drain stop-photo-6.jpg  

cstrasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Broke pop up drain stop

And the second sink with the leak...
Attached Thumbnails
Broke pop up drain stop-photo-7.jpg  

Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Broke pop up drain stop

Quote:
1.) I'm surprised that there's no seal other than the rubber between the sink, counter top, and rest of the kit underneath the counter. Is this right? It looks like even in the instructions of the kit they don't mention using any sort of caulking. Guessing the pressure just keeps it all together?
Not correct.Generally there is a bead of whats called "plumbers putty" that is put around the opening.
When you insert the new drain and start to tighten it the putty will push out and create a seal,remove all the excess that is left.

Quote:
2.) You can see in one of my pictures, the pvc pipe disconnected. I just unscrewed the knob and took out the straight pvc pipe part with the stainless steel cylinder that's in it (it's the picture of me holding the pvc pipe and stainless steel part against a white wall). It looks like the bottom part of this stopper kit just attaches into the pvc pipe not with any sort of sealant but some sort of rubber washer inside that keeps it 'vacuumed' in, if that makes sense. Guessing I can just reuse this pvc part?
Correct,that is a compression fitting.As you tighten the nut it will compress the plastic washer inside it to create a seal.

Quote:
3.) Reattaching the white pvc pipe to the part it was disconnected from, do I just tighten the plastic knob and it'll maintain the seal as well?
Correct. Do not over tighten it.

The right sink,

That is referred to as a "p" trap you might be able to get away with just tightening the fittings on either end to stop the leak.
Otherwise they sell replacement washer kits that could fix your problem.

You should consider replacing the flex drain on the left with rigid pipe like it is on the right.
The one going into the wall.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Broke pop up drain stop

Thanks for the info. Just to make sure, the bead of putty goes on the countertop surface between the countertop and the seal of the kit? From what I can tell no putty was used with the prior installation.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Broke pop up drain stop

Yes. The putty is generally used.
If you did not see any putty double check and make sure your sink is the not a type that would have an adverse affect with the putty.
Unlikely, but better safe then sorry.
See if manufacturers website indicating anything about it.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote