Broke Off Main Shut Off Valve, Well System, Can I Fix It? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Broke off main shut off valve, well system, can I fix it?

Just installed a new water heater, when I went to turn the water on the main (there was no individual shutoff to the water heater) it snapped off in my hand.

I have a well system, not city sewer. And my main is located in the center of my house, I have no basement. Is there anyway I can fix it on my own? Shut off the power to the pump? Then cut the old one out and replace it? I'm afraid of water going all over the place, but hate calling a plumber at this late stage.

What will the plumber do about it? Approximate price?

Advertisement

plumbingnewbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Keep the water heater heat off. If you have a laundry sink or other water faucet in the basement, then draining the entire plumbing system through that faucet should result in only a small amount of water getting all over when you take apart the broken main shutoff valve.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Without know what type pipes, and what type valve you have not sure how we can suggest how to fix it.
There also needs to be a shut off in the incoming cold water on that water heater. If it ever blows do you want to have to be crawling under the house to shut it off?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

was it a gate valve and you snapped the round handle off the stem.is there any part of the that stem remaining grabb it with a pipe wrench to open it..but loosen the packing nut first.might want to repipe the main shut off valve so a floor board can be lifted and get right to itiiiiif it is all copper it's easy fix...pix or tell use gate or ball valve?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, its a Gate Valve, and I snapped the handle off, but it took most of the stem with it, and is now dripping water out of the stem.

The pipe is copper.

I know how to cut out and replace the valve, I'm just not sure of how to deal with the pump, I've only dealt with city water before.

I guess I'm just asking if I shut the power off to the pump am I safe to cut the pipe without water going everywhere? I don't see a shutoff valve for the pump itself anywhere.

I'm terrified that I'm going to cut that pipe and still be spraying water all over the interior of my house with no way to stop it.
plumbingnewbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

Shut off the pump, also shut off the breaker to it just to be safe.
Go outside and open up an outside faucet to relieve the pressure.
To install the valve your going to need another short piece of the same sized pipe and a copper repair coupling. It's a coupling with no hub in the middle so it can be slide into place over the tubing.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Thread here (Main OFF, Power Still Available in Three Rooms) briefly talked about how in rural areas, there may be a separate power source for the well.

It might be a good idea to look at the wiring from the pole and trace it to your main panel and do what joe says to kill power to the entire panel.

Good luck
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

shut the pump and open all the cold/hot water faucets to vent the pressure then go in and change the situation only water will be above the gate valve and drain out on a cut out...might want to go with a ball valve this time around...and solder nipples into it on a bench then go in and couple the new valve in

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote