Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Breaker tripping by halves?

Strange water problem for me. I am on a deep well system with a Jaccuzi submersible pump. My pump is one one half of a quad breaker --- the middle joined two 15 amp switches. The outside two 15 amp switches are for a totally different use.

Last night one half of the switch for the pump would not reset. I removed it and saw it was toasted, so the following day I got a replacement and installed it. Same thing. One half kept tripping.

I installed a different Pressure Control switch. The breaker kept opening and the water pressure built up very slowly and would blow the breaker after a gain of 10 or so pounds pressure. The points would not open automatically, but they would close at a very low pressure. I can nurse the system along to get water in the house --- manually engaging and disengaging the contact points, and re-setting the breaker when it blows.

It looks like one half is running on 110 and the other half on 220. But why is the breaker blowing?

Any and all help, suggestions and comments welcomed. This is the forum that has always solved any problem I presented.

Thanks in advance.

ao

amen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,036

Breaker tripping by halves?

You may need to recalibrate the pressure tank. A rough calibration may be done by turning off the pump, empthing all the water out of the tank, then closing the air valve up top, and turniing everything back on.

If the pressure tank is full of water the pump will do erratic things since water does not compress when the pump tries to start up.