Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Brass Nipple Installation

Hello,

I'm in the process of installing a tile shower. I had a plumber come in and do all the piping. He installed copper pippingor for the shower head outlet and the hand held outlet then he placed steel pipe to protect the fitting and to use as a guide for the holes to cutout in the hardie backerboard. At this point the hardie is on the wall with the steel pipe attached to the copper.

2 questions:

1) The main showerhead: is it safe to assume I could just unscrew the steel pipe and install the pipe for the shower head directly into the copper? Should I use teflon tape or dope?

2) For the handheld showerhead: I need to install a brass nipple to connect to the 90 degree outlet. Can I install the nipple through the board or should I have done this before the board went up? Once again should I use teflon tape or dope.

Not only do I thank you, my wife does also, she wants the shower back!

firefish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

1) The main showerhead: is it safe to assume I could just unscrew the steel pipe and install the pipe for the shower head directly into the copper? Should I use teflon tape or dope?

Be sure that your the shower valve is in the closed position before you take the nipple out cause you do not want to make a mess inside the wall. I would then take the escution a go ahead and place it on the shower head and tephlon and dope both ends of the shower arm.

Hello,

I'm in the process of installing a tile shower. I had a plumber come in and do all the piping. He installed copper pippingor for the shower head outlet and the hand held outlet then he placed steel pipe to protect the fitting and to use as a guide for the holes to cutout in the hardie backerboard. At this point the hardie is on the wall with the steel pipe attached to the copper.

2 questions:

2) For the handheld showerhead: I need to install a brass nipple to connect to the 90 degree outlet. Can I install the nipple through the board or should I have done this before the board went up? Once again should I use teflon tape or dope.

You should be able to install the nipple right into the drop eared ell inside the wall but be sure to measure the length of the nipple you will need and again I would pipe dope and tephlon both ends of the nipple.

KenPlumbsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenPlumbsRight For This Useful Post:
firefish317 (04-18-2010), oh'mike (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #3

measure the nipple for the hand from end to the wall before you remove it, then you will know exactly how long your new brass nipple needs to be. (whatever was in the wall plus 1/2")
just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just a guy For This Useful Post:
firefish317 (04-18-2010)

Tags
brass nipple, steel, tile