DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Brand or OEM element in a water heater?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
My water heater quit yesterday, and I am assuming it is the element. It is a Maytag "Series 9", dual element, about 8 years old. Lowe's doesn't sell them anymore. Looking on line, to exactly match the 3800 W or the 5500@ (lower element), the element is from $95.00 - $121.00. I went to Lowe's, and they had a "universal" replacement element, 3500W, 4500W,
5500W, each for about $9.00. Could I put this in my hot water heater safely? (Thinking on putting a 3500W element where the 3800W element was on upper, and 5500W on lower element).
Or do I need to get a new water heater? (since it will be 6 weeks for them to order the exact match.)

#2 ·
As long as the element will physically fit in the heater and is the same or less than the amperage of the standard unit you are aces. No way in the world would I invest $100 in an element for a 8 year old water heater.

#4 ·
Alot of times if it is a well known brand....the OEM parts usually come from them. For instance, alot of furnace controls or A/C controls, come from Honeywell. You can find a local distributor of Honeywell and can, depending on the Manufacturer of the unit, save anywhere from 5-50%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.