DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Brand new water heater TPR valve spraying (

fetzer85 03-15-2013 09:56 PM

Brand new water heater TPR valve spraying
Today I noticed our gas water heater leaking. It was 10yrs old and installed before we lived here. I changed it out tonight with an electric water heater. (long story short, wanted to remove venting from chimney) The problem I'm having is that the TPR valve is spraying water unless one of the hot water faucets is open. I don't even have the electric hooked up yet, just water. I let the tank fill and after 5min or so the air stopped. I turned off the sink and the valve started spraying. (not full spray, but a steady stream of water)

Since there is no temperature involved yet I think it's got to be a pressure problem. Would you say that our water pressure is too high? The troubleshooting in the manual says to reduce water psi to 50-60 by using a pressure control valve. The only reason I'm confused is because the relief valve on the old water heater didn't have an issue. Has the water heater industry greatly reduced the psi level at which the valve releases in the last 10yrs? If not then I don't understand why it's happening.

Thanks for any help...:huh:

jmon 03-15-2013 10:00 PM

Do you have an expansion tank or was one installed when you put in new hwh? All that pressure has to go somewhere.

jmon 03-15-2013 10:06 PM

I believe in closed loop systems, an expansion tank is required now. Pressure builds up in hwh and goes back out to the line, however, city water usually has a backflow preventer installed somewhere so now it's looking for a place to release the pressure - your tpr valve. It's an easy fix.

fetzer85 03-15-2013 10:10 PM

We didn't have a thermal expansion tank before, which is why I didn't install one. The water isn't even hot, its just at the pressure that the city is supplying it at.

TheEplumber 03-15-2013 10:13 PM

199 Attachment(s)
Sounds like a pressure issue and I'm guessing that's why your old tank leaked. Your old T&P valves sounds like it failed- ever test it in 10 years?
Their pressure ratings haven't changed either.
Buy a cheap gauge at HD at slap it on your hose bib- if over 80psi you need a pressure reducing valve and expansion tank installed or your current one is defective.
BTW- that extremely high pressure is very hard n faucets and toilet valves

danpik 03-15-2013 10:17 PM

Check the rating on the valve. There should be a tag on it, usually aroung the release lever. It could be that you have a T&P valve for a boiler which has a lower release setting

fetzer85 03-15-2013 10:25 PM

Valve says Set150psi210F

jmon 03-15-2013 10:37 PM

That's correct for hwh. Boiler would be 30psi. E is spot on.

VIPlumber 03-15-2013 10:41 PM


Originally Posted by fetzer85 (Post 1138266)
Valve says Set150psi210F

Typical T&P valve then. Could be that some sediment is stuck in the seat. Try holding it fully open for a 3 count, release the handle & see if it re-seats fully.

fetzer85 03-15-2013 10:43 PM

It wasn't the TPR valve that failed on the old one. The tank was rusted in a spot near the bottom. In the 3yrs we've lived here no, we never tested the valve on the old one. You really think I'm hitting 150psi to open that valve up? I'd be surprised, but I'll go get one of those valves tomorrow to find out for sure.

fetzer85 03-15-2013 10:52 PM

Tried fully opening the valve for 3sec, multiple times, but no luck. After I close it I get about 5-10 sec w/ no leak, but then it starts pouring out again. Frustrating...I will get the valve tomorrow and report what I find. Thanks.

jmon 03-15-2013 10:58 PM

Yes, that or the tpr valve is defective. A new tpr valve is about 15 dollars they're not that expensive. Also buy one of those cheap water pressure gauges like E said and check you water pressure in a couple different spots in the house. Go from there.

fetzer85 03-15-2013 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While we're on this topic, can anyone tell me what this valve is? Is it some kind of pressure valve? It's near our water meter and has a tag on it that says range 75-250, max 300psi. There's a bolt sticking out the bottom with a decent amount of the thread visible.

TheEplumber 03-15-2013 11:04 PM

199 Attachment(s)
Reread post #5. That is your pressure reducing valve

jmon 03-15-2013 11:05 PM

Yes, that looks like your pvr (pressure reducing valve) That could be defective or just needs adjusting.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1