Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Question

Brand new compression valve leaking

I'm replacing the shut-off valves, supply lines, and the faucet they connect to and I'm having an issue with one of the shut-off valves.

The shut-off valve is a brass (BrassCraft) quarter turn angle valve with a compression ring/nut and I'm connecting it to 1/2" copper pipe (from the wall).

For the first valve (the hot one), I removed the old valve (the compression ring puller I bought worked like a charm), installed the new one, and then tightened it until it stopped leaking. Everything worked great!

For the second valve (the cold one), I followed the same process, but I was never able to get it to stop leaking. I'd check it, tighten it about 1/4 turn, then check again, and I repeated that process until I started to see the brass compression ring sticking out behind the non-threaded side (wall side) of the compression nut. For comparison, this second compression nut is screwed on MUCH further than the one on the first (non-leaky) valve.

After taking the valve all the way off, the compression ring is practically embedded in the copper pipe.

Any ideas on how to proceed? I'm suspicious that the compression nut has been over-tightened (at least, I'm afraid to tighten it any further).

Should the compression ring be embedded so far into the copper pipe that I can't remove it (even with my compression ring/nut puller)? Am I going to need to cut off the end of the pipe and try again with a new compression fitting?

The good news is that the leak is pretty slow (maybe 1 drop per minute), so I have some time to plan my next move

Thanks in advance!

EricBNeverScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I'd never try and pull a ring and install a new valve.
Cut off the pipe behind the ring and try it again with a new compression ring.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
EricBNeverScare (08-14-2013), oh'mike (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Make sure the pipe your installing the compression fitting to is real clean , no burrs, no paint, nice and straight. Over the years I have put a drop of oil on the pipe with my finger just to have a nice surface to compress. Please Note: Oil not needed.
ben's plumbing (08-14-2013), EricBNeverScare (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Thanks, jocaption/COLDIRON.

I suspect that there was some irregularity in the pipe (from the old compression nut) where I put the new compression ring.

Does it sound like my best option at this point is to cut off the end of the pipe (with the embedded, leaky compression ring), clean (with emery paper) and ream the end of the cut pipe, then try again with a new compression nut/ring (or maybe just a whole new shut-off valve, just to be safe)?

My main concern is that if I end up having to cut the pipe and then I fail again, I'll eventually run out of pipe
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,530

A little touch of pipe dope would help on the outside of brass compression ring.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Ok, after cutting off the mangled bit of copper pipe with the almost-completely-embedded compression ring (probably about 1.5" worth of pipe), sanding down/reaming the remaining bit of pipe, and installing a new brass compression shut-off valve (same brand/model as on the first attempt), there appear to be no more leaks.

I'll be checking every few hours but at the moment I'm cautiously optimistic.

Thanks, folks!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,390

for future always put alittle pipe dope on the threads of compression fittings and alittle around the furrell it makes for a better joint....ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
EricBNeverScare (08-14-2013), lk00331 (08-15-2013)