Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Branch line questions

Our current setup is 1" poly (can't spell it) from the meter to the house then it transitions through galvanized(?) fittings to 1/2 copper through the house, including the water heater. It feeds 10 outlets right now. As you can imagine we can one do one thing at a time. Besides that we're having pressure issues which could be those galvanized(?) fittings. While I have it in pieces I want to upgrade sizes.

From the meter is 25 ft to the house. The furthest run in the house is 40-45 ft including a 20 ft rise to the second floor. I'm going to use CPVC, I'll use thread connections on some of the copper feeds to faucets. The kitchen/2nd bathroom is at the back and the 1st bathroom is in the middle.

Initially I was going to run a 1" about 10 ft from the new brass fittings and use a "T" and branch it off to 3/4 one for the main branch and one 3/4 for the hot water heater. Will that be sufficent or should I at least run 1" till it gets to the back of the house where the kitchen/2nd bedroom will "t" off?
esmith2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Branch line questions

Bigger is better in this case. When going from CPVC to copper, use the CPVC male adapters with the brass threads.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Branch line questions

Depends on how many fixtures your supplying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #4

Branch line questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Bigger is better in this case. When going from CPVC to copper, use the CPVC male adapters with the brass threads.
So what they say is true What's the difference in using male/female adapters? I used CPVC female adapter/copper male when I setup the laundry room and had a small leak. Had to cut and redo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
Depends on how many fixtures your supplying.
2 baths, kitchen, laundry, and outside faucet. Eventually will add a outside kitchen and maybe a dishwasher (big maybe). I guess I need to do some calcuations.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Branch line questions

CPVC female adapters (or any plastic female adapter) can easily crack when a metallic (ie copper) male is tightened into it. Switch it up with a copper female and a CPVC socket X brass male thread adapter and you've reduced that possibility by about 99.7984% or so.

Given that you've got 2 bathrooms (at least 2 lavs, 2 toilets, 2 tub/showers) a kitchen sink and a hosebib, I'd definitely go with 1" if at all possible.

Yes, what "they" say is true. lol
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Branch line questions

1" at least till you get beyond or past your 1st bathroom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #7

Branch line questions

I'm guessing your talking about this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90129+528105

I don't recall seeing those when I did that laundry room. I really need to find a plumbing store instead of using the big box stores. I should only need 2-4 since the only copper I'm leaving is to the showers.