Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
KLR

Rewards Points: 25

Braided water supply lines - joining two

I need help on the correct way to join two different sized braided water supply lines together, both have the rubber gaskets (One is 1/2" and the other is 3/8" - both female ends). So I need a male/male connector.

The hardware store guy told me this connector would work: 1/2" male pipe on one side and 3/8" compression on the other side. Is this correct? If it is correct then do I use teflon, pipe dope or nothing, on the supply line female to the compression male?

This is going under a jacuzzi tub surround that has no access.

Thanks

KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes the hardware guy is right.

No teflon, no dope , don't over tighten, buy good lines.

PS Never install anything you can not get at make an access door somehow somewhere in your surround.

You will be glad you did.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

second that.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
KLR

Okay thanks.

My confussion came from reading in several places that pipe threads will not work with compression threads. Then some others that stated to put teflon & dope over all metal threads...

Last edited by KLR; 06-01-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

The end of the fitting will compress against the rubber washer inside the braided hose, its the same as if you connected it to a sink shut off. but a pipe nipple will have a little sharper end to it which could cut into the washer.which would not be a concern to you here, Bob
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
KLR

Oh, I see now, it is only a problem mixing compression & pipe when using a male pipe end - because the male pipe end is not flat enough & is kind of sharp.

Thanks so much Bob, I will sleep better now. KLR
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #7

I wouldn't bury this type of fitting into a space that was not accessible....but that's me. I would rather use flexible copper. Good luck...
Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
KLR

Okay, we are now good on the compression end, but what about the pipe threaded male end????...I will be putting a male pipe end into a female compression end that has a rubber washer!!!!

Do I need to find a connector that has male compression threads on both ends????

I only wish I could get to it to change it out to copper. It has access to everything that I am changing out, EXCEPT where the otherside of this flexible connector hooks up to the tub spout.

I am stuck with the flexible connector hooked up to the spout...if the spout ever needs changing...that will be all she wrote for the whole tub and tile surround. For that matter if the flexible connector goes bad... ...oh man I can't just abandon the spout...it would look rediculous.
What should I do? helppp?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Okay, we are now good on the compression end, but what about the pipe threaded male end????...I will be putting a male pipe end into a female compression end that has a rubber washer!!!!

Do I need to find a connector that has male compression threads on both ends????

I only wish I could get to it to change it out to copper. It has access to everything that I am changing out, EXCEPT where the otherside of this flexible connector hooks up to the tub spout.

I am stuck with the flexible connector hooked up to the spout...if the spout ever needs changing...that will be all she wrote for the whole tub and tile surround. For that matter if the flexible connector goes bad... ...oh man I can't just abandon the spout...it would look rediculous.
What should I do? helppp?

Go back and read post #2 and follow it, don't complicate the job any more than it is already. Not directing just advising.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teflon water supply line