Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
registered

Share |

Bought new toilet

American Standard Champion 4. 1.6 gallon flush. Had it about 2 weeks now. Very happy. Powerful-flush. Highly recommend. Elongated bowel ever clean and Ada compliant. Got it a Lowe's

Thinking about new toilet grab this one.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

Bought new toilet

I heard the champion 3 is the one to have, but glad your happy with it.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Bought new toilet

Now all you need are the accessories
Attached Images

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Bought new toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Now all you need are the accessories

Whereís the beer and T.V?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

Bought new toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Any links? I'm not familiar with this model.

Do you mean the Cadet 3?
stephen9666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Bought new toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
read up on this: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=105x3096101
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Bought new toilet

I bought a new AS toilet about 33 years ago and installed it for my aunt. I had to repair the floor and the closet bend, then carefully installed the toilet, something I had done many times before and many times since. After about a week the gasket between the tank and the bowl started to leak soaking the floor again. I have never purchased another AS Product since, and I see from the previous post why. Too Bad, American Standard used to mean something.

By the way how is the clog proof toilet supposed to work when the paper floats? Wont it just float over and clog the overflow drain holes?

I use Kohler and have always had good luck with the Wellworth Classic

Last edited by jagans; 12-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

Bought new toilet

I too recently installed a Champion 4. Some observations and issues: the flush handle mechanism is cheap plastic and can barely lift that huge 4 inch flush valve. I replaced it after a week with a nice universal all metal one. The toilet seat is junk. Replaced it as well. The huge 4 inch flush valve is an issue all to itself. When you flush, the float/flapper pulls off the seat and lots of water gushes down past the float and into the bowl. Well, so much water gushes past the float all at once, it immediately slams the float back down onto the seat. Only about half the water in the tank is emptied. Iíve played with the chain length and it makes no difference. Itís almost as if it is designed that way. Flush and release for a light flush, flush and hold for a complete flush. Even a flush and release does seems to empty the bowl, but why only emptying half the water in the tank? Overall it seems to work OK, but my 10 year old Kohlerís work good too and have never had a problem with them.
rustyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Bought new toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyedge View Post
It’s almost as if it is designed that way.... Even a flush and release does seems to empty the bowl, but why only emptying half the water in the tank?
It probably is designed that way. Some modern toilets don't empty the entire tank on each flush by design. Unless you want a toilet with a tiny tank, then 1.28 or 1.6 toilets may not empty the entire tank.

One benefit is that the cold incoming water mixes with the room-temp water that's sitting in the tank, so tank sweating is less common.

My Drake II doesn't empty the tank on every flush. If you hold down the handle to empty the tank, you're using more water than the 1.28 gallons it's supposed to use. I don't think my Mansfield Cascade empties the entire tank, either.

Last edited by stephen9666; 02-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.
stephen9666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephen9666 For This Useful Post:
rustyedge (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #10

Bought new toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen9666 View Post
It probably is designed that way. Some modern toilets don't empty the entire tank on each flush by design. Unless you want a toilet with a tiny tank, then 1.28 or 1.6 toilets may not empty the entire tank.

One benefit is that the cold incoming water mixes with the room-temp water that's sitting in the tank, so tank sweating is less common.

My Drake II doesn't empty the tank on every flush. If you hold down the handle to empty the tank, you're using much more water than the 1.28 gallons it's supposed to use. I don't think my Mansfield Cascade empties the entire tank, either.
I recently installed 2 similar toilets in an old church. The lines are very old galvanized and are quite restricted.
The problem was the tank took too long to refill between flushes On sunday morning after a service- that's not good. The 1.28 "half flush" solved the problem. It was still a powerful enough flush to give the bowl a good wash out
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
registered

Bought new toilet

Zero problems so far. Haven't used the plunger. My other bathroom has the old school crane flush toilet. Its in such great condition i haven't changed it.I think its 3 gallon if not more flush. I had to replace flapper. Order it off amazon couldn't find one anywhere. Crane toilet flappers are had to find. Its the one which has the slit in the back.

Last edited by 747; 02-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote