Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Bought a house in MI that wasn't winterized properly. Having problems.

I just bought a foreclosure in Michigan and the bank didn't winterize it properly. After everything thawed out, the cracked meter was replaced, but I am not seeing any other evidence of leaks or damage. I haven't turned on the water heater yet though. The big problem I am having is that no water comes out of some of the 2 of the 3 sinks, and 1 of the 2 showers. The working sink and shower have good pressure, though a lot of sediment came out at first. I'd say 20% of the pipes are galvanized, the rest copper.

I have cleaned out the faucets and it didn't help. My hunch is there is a clog in the pipes from the old galvanized and/or the sediment that was stirred up, perhaps when the city shut off the water at the street or when the meter was changed, I don't know.

Any recommendations? I hope I don't need to replace all the pipes.

skiposwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Bought a house in MI that wasn't winterized properly. Having problems.

The first thing that I would do, which you probably already have, is to ensure that no water is running through the meter when the affected faucets are open, just to verify that you don't have any leaks under a basement slab, in a crawl space, or wherever. After that you are probably correct in assuming that your galvanized pipes are the culprit. It is conceivable that you could have one particular pipe, common to all of the affected faucets, that is bad, but your best bet is to approach it with a plan to replace all of the galvanized pipe and fittings.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clog, galvanized, plumbing, water, winterized