Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bosch 1600H Lp tankless water heater

I just installed a Bosch 1600H Lp. The hydro ignition lights when water is turned on and a solid blue flame appears. It only lasts about 3 seconds before going out and it does not light the burner. It will then again repeat this process. Any help out there?
Thanks

Dixie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like it is not sensing enough flow to keep the flame on, at least that where I would be looking.

Mark

Dixie2 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,384

did you provide 3/4 feed and exit on water lines...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Dixie2 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Still trying to get burner to light. The flow to the unit, in and out, is 3/4 pipe with lots of pressure from a presure tank. It does not appear to be a water flow problem. So is there something regarding the sensor (water flow) that can be checked? I live off the grid and back in Mountains so getting service help here not reasonable. Appreciate any more tips or advice
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

is pilot flame fully engulfing flame sensor...check all wire connections even though its new may need to clean surface of sensor with eraser... you may also have some junk in the hydro generator...may need to remove it and flush it out

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 10-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Dixie2 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

Well I tried all the tips and still no go. I cleaned the Hydro generator but it appeared to be clean. I checked electric connections and they seem fine. I took out the pilot burner assembly and the sensor attached there looks ok, no dirt or corrosion. The flame is strong when it starts and looks like it wants to taken off. It increases flame size for a second then reverses and decreases. I tried detaching and cleaning the wires to both the pilot electro and burner electro valves and nothing new. It would seem that the evaluation given that a sensor is not allowing gas to the burner is probable. The flame is blue but is it possible that if the pressure is set incorrectly at the regulator this would prohibit the burner from lighting? The Lp deliveryman set the WC for me at about 8" because I am at 5500 ft. . Again I appreciate all the advice. We have been without hot water for seven years and my wife is anxious to have this work
Thank you
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #7

and yes the pilot flame appears to be fully engulfiing the ignitor and flame sensor allthough the flame sensor is turned at a 90 degree angle
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

well you covered all the basic steps to get this baby fired up....and 1 st give mama a hug for me tell her after 7 yrs without hot water...she is truly one of a kind...i live in the suburbs....my girl would only put up with that for about 7 minutes....ha ha ah...ok bach to business...did your heater come with a srevice manual....if it did..see troubleshooting...section 6.4..#7... you need to check voltage at spade connectorat burnner clectro valve..after the pilot lights...should read 1.6vac on burnner electro valve....if proper voltage is there valve is defective.....call bosch 800-642-3111...as a side thougth make sure all valves are open....
Dixie2 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

Ok, I checked the voltage and have nothing registering on the burner electro valve when water is running, the pilot electro valve shows about 4 amps then tops out when relighting. I am testing from the front clip on the valves with a voltage meter. what do you mean by "make sure all the valves are open"?
If it is the burner electro valve, what must be replaced, the entire valve?
Yes my wife is a jewel, and I thank the Lord for her every day. We have lived here 7 years and only had running water the last two. Hauling water to maintain greenhouse became a little time consuming. In the winter, we hauled water 3 1/2 miles on our snow machines to the cabin. As you can see, hot water would be quiet a treat.
Thanks again, your info seems to be right on track!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie2 View Post
Ok, I checked the voltage and have nothing registering on the burner electro valve when water is running, the pilot electro valve shows about 4 amps then tops out when relighting. I am testing from the front clip on the valves with a voltage meter. what do you mean by "make sure all the valves are open"?
If it is the burner electro valve, what must be replaced, the entire valve?
Yes my wife is a jewel, and I thank the Lord for her every day. We have lived here 7 years and only had running water the last two. Hauling water to maintain greenhouse became a little time consuming. In the winter, we hauled water 3 1/2 miles on our snow machines to the cabin. As you can see, hot water would be quiet a treat.
Thanks again, your info seems to be right on track!
ok lets see if hydro generator is working....disconnect plug connector on wires leading from generator check voltage on generator side with hot water running should be 1.6vac.......as far as open valves....look at any possible valve or switch that could be off...including gas control valve...sometimes when there made some person in the factory flips a switch and you have to find it...ha ha ...let know..ben sr
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

I disconnected the lead from the hydro generator and attempted to check voltage. Thee are two metal posts withing the clip I disconnected and so far I can find no current from either. I grounded out the negative (black) lead from my voltage meter and touched the positive (red) to both posts and nothing. Should the posts in the hydro generator clip be treated separate as pos/neg when connecting my meter? Or should I continue to ground out the neg and touch the pos to one or both of the posts?
While doing this I again attempted to check current on the electro valves. This time I noticed a slight reading on the meter for each valve with the water running, Very slight. If I am reading the meter right, it is not even one amp. When I measured the voltage on the valves before, I had an electrician here who tested it and saw nothing on the burner valve and a minor reading on the pilot valve. We have been surrounded by a forest fire for a month now and he was one of the fire fighters in the area who offered to help since he was an electrician. Now when I take the reading, I see a very minimal movement on the needle when testing the valves. Very little!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

Ben,
Hope you are still there. I was given some faulty advice regarding my volt meter so I need to restate the readings. I have about 1-1.5vac on the electro ignition valve, On the electro burner valve I have over 2vac. I attempted to measure the voltage from the hydro generator but so far cannot get any reading. I am using both posts in the clip from the hydro Generator. I figure since there is voltage at the two valves, the hydro generator must be working. Doesn't the fact that the pilot ignition is working declare that the hydro generator is working? The other question is you asked if pilot light is fully engulfing sensor. The pilot light is strong and maybe an inch tall, but the sensor does go at a right angle away from the pilot. Ii is obvious this is how the sensor was designed so I did not think this a problem. I appreciate your help!
Thanks Larry

Last edited by Dixie2; 10-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Ben,
Hope you are still there. I was given some faulty advice regarding my volt meter so I need to restate the readings. I have about 1-1.5vac on the electro ignition valve, On the electro burner valve I have over 2vac. I attempted to measure the voltage from the hydro generator but so far cannot get any reading. I am using both posts in the clip from the hydro Generator. I figure since there is voltage at the two valves, the hydro generator must be working. Doesn't the fact that the pilot ignition is working declare that the hydro generator is working? The other question is you asked if pilot light is fully engulfing sensor. The pilot light is strong and maybe an inch tall, but the sensor does go at a right angle away from the pilot. Ii is obvious this is how the sensor was designed so I did not think this a problem. I appreciate your help!
Thanks Larry
yep still here larry..sorry got busy....well according to the troubleshooting chart...if you have 1.6 or more after pilot lights...burner electro valve is defective....call 800-642-3111...ben sr again sorry
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #14

Well I called Bosch tech support figuring I would be ordering the burner electro valve and the tech advised me to first disconnect gas line including regulator, take out both the pilot and burner electro valves (separately), blow through the lines from the gas inlet. I would (and did) hear a sort of popping sound in each valve. Then I reassembled and after purging the gas line a little I had both pilot and burner lighting. The problem now is even with the temp setting at highest and the flow setting at lowest, we have only warm water at our taps. The flames on the burner look good but I am not sure. How high they should be? I am pursuing some of the troubleshooting options in the manual but so far no change. I am wondering if lp pressure can be the problem. I attempted to increase the pressure at the regulator but saw no visible difference in the flames. I have already once cleaned the inlet filter when first installed. Any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Well I called Bosch tech support figuring I would be ordering the burner electro valve and the tech advised me to first disconnect gas line including regulator, take out both the pilot and burner electro valves (separately), blow through the lines from the gas inlet. I would (and did) hear a sort of popping sound in each valve. Then I reassembled and after purging the gas line a little I had both pilot and burner lighting. The problem now is even with the temp setting at highest and the flow setting at lowest, we have only warm water at our taps. The flames on the burner look good but I am not sure. How high they should be? I am pursuing some of the troubleshooting options in the manual but so far no change. I am wondering if lp pressure can be the problem. I attempted to increase the pressure at the regulator but saw no visible difference in the flames. I have already once cleaned the inlet filter when first installed. Any suggestions?
hey larry don't be bashful call tech back thats what their there for ..they seem to have insite for little tricks I don't iam following there flow chart......if you have to ask 3,4,5,6,7,8 times or more ,,,do it .. i would and have... flow chart 6.8 water not hot enough...power adjustment knob all the way clockwise....also temperature adjustment knob set to low.....close supply cold valve to heater...open all taps supplied by heater..wait 5 minutescheck taps...any water running is a sign of crossover from plumbing system...ben sr

Dixie2 (10-11-2012)