Booster Pump Gurus Please Take A Look - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Booster pump gurus please take a look

Hey guys take a look at my set up at my house. I need your input on how to have the most efficient system. I have 5 bathrooms and one half bath. It's on a well. The pressure is not that great. So I added a booster pump well all it does is cycle on and off a lot. What is your suggestion how to fix this. I'm open to anything you guys throw out there. I have a lot of daughters and to say the least they tie up the showers and water pressure just plummets. Thank you for your help and guidance.

I tried to post on plumbing zone and they really got a kick out of this set up. So please be easy all I did was add the booster pump nothing more. I'm just trying to learn how to do it right. So thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Booster pump gurus please take a look-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Craftybigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I think you will need another pressure tank on the output side of the booster pump and a pressure regulator for the pump tied in. it would work similar to a well pump setup as far as adjusting the pressure settings. I did one years ago that way. You need the tank so it would have air trapped in it which would prevent the on/off you have. Also a check valve on the booster input side maybe. Its been along time since i did one.
Someone with more know how will be along to help more. I am not real good at explaining. lol

Advertisement

Last edited by cyberknight; 01-10-2014 at 05:04 PM.
cyberknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,660

How many gallons per minute will your well produce

I would also read this. http://www.plamondon.com/rural-livin...eld-wells.html
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4

I called the well company that installed it when the house was built. Also the county and there is no record of it. Is there a way that I can test it?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Get a 5 gallon bucket and time how long it takes to fill it at the spiget by your blue well tank. Use a 3/4 inch hose.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 528

Why is there what looks like three filters?
What size are those pipes?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Big one is a sediment filter, the smaller is a carbon filter. The metal one is a UV light. 1" in pipe to the water tank manifold then drops to 3/4" after that.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #8

I will check GPM this evening.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I'm confused... that looks like you have a grundfos booster pump (or similar) plumbed in there (if so it's really designed as a stand alone unit). What is the other pressure tank for? Do you have some kind of other pump in the system? I have no idea what is going on in the picture.

You really gave no information on the water system itself, which makes it really difficult to figure out what you're doing there.

Last edited by Alan; 01-15-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #10

First the water comes from submersible well pump into the house. To the pressure tank then to the sediment filter to water softener. Then to carbon filter then into the UV light then to booster pump. Then to the rest of the house.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #11

By the way do you have a low pressure pump cutoff switch on the inlet side to the pump?

Not good to run the pump with less then 10 lbs input water.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Doing it myself

I think rather than trying to solve the problem of the booster pump kicking on and off a lot (which is entirely possible to solve) We may need a better understanding of why the booster pump is needed in the first place.

From the way you describe it, it sounds more like a flow rate problem than a pressure problem.

Say you aren't using any water in the house, or the pump has just completed a cycle and filled the pressure tank. What pressure would be read on the gauge?

When you run the water in the house, and start relieving the pressure out of the pressure tank, the pump will kick in at some point. What is the reading on the pressure gauge at that point.

I'd also like to point out just to clarify terminology that filling a five gallon bucket and timing it will likely only tell you how much water you are getting out of that particular spigot in a given time-frame.

As a matter of fact it won't even tell you how much water your pump is producing from the well, let alone how much water the well itself is producing.

In order to measure the output of the pump you would have to measure the amount of water you get from the pressure tank from "full" to the point where the pump kicks on. When the pump kicks on you would measure the time it takes to fill back the amount of water you used(until the pump turns back off). That would give you the GPM output of the pump.
***That doesn't mean that the well produces this amount of water. Around here when we do a well test, sometimes we run a 12gpm flow restrictor for an hour and a half to two hours, and then the well is nearly dry. At that point you have to measure the recovery rate of the well in order to figure out what it is actually producing. Sometimes in a 4 hour period they never run dry and we just have to call it a great water source. These people have at least a 12GPM well. That doesn't mean their pump outputs 12GPM either.

Do you know anything about your filters? (IE : Were they just there or did you install or have them installed) A lot of filters have a GPM rating on them as well. Depending on what you have installed you may be choking down the flow rate with filters (not necessarily a bad thing) and that's just all you're going to get if you want filtered water.

To put it into relative terms, your showerheads are likely around a 2.0 GPM flow rate. Your faucets are a max of 2.2 GPM..... There's only so many that you can run on a given pump system without the pump being unable to keep up. You can put twenty booster pumps on it, but if pump number one can't produce the required amount of gallons to the system, the booster pump isn't going to do a darn thing.

Hope this helps a little....
joecaption (01-16-2014), nanuk (01-18-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Also I'd like to point out that booster pumps are typically used in situations where you have a constant flow of water, but at a low pressure. For example, someone lives up a 200 foot cliff above the city water system, and they only have 10PSI of pressure. They will always have (approximately) that 10 PSI because the flow rate from the city doesn't really change (perhaps not enough to notice on a large scale anyway), so the booster pump uses that as a suction and creates more pressure (whatever the "boost rating" for that particular pump may be) on the other side of it.

Sometimes booster pumps have a capability for suction to a certain depth where constant pressure on the inlet isn't needed, it just has to be wet. In that case it could essentially work as a stand alone jet pump for a whole house system.

Being that your pressure tank and switch for the submersible are in the same room with the booster pump the pressure in that room should be at whatever the pressure switch is balanced at. With all that in mind i'm still leaning more toward your problem is more of a flow rate issue than a pressure issue. When flow rate drops, pressure drops.....
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 528

A simple way to check that theory would be to remove the cartridge from one filter at a time to see if it changes the flow rate.
I've had to change out small filters like you have there before and go to a bigger unit with more GPM and it took care of the problem.
Alan (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #15

Thanks so much guys for your inputs it really makes sense.
I know when I first installed the booster pump in had the flow switch on it. It worked great, you could take a shower with real nice pressure. Then the flow switch went and I installed the pressure switch and it was never the same. So at the point with several things running I don't believe flow was a problem. Nothing ever cavitated. As for the filters they installed I have just changed them on a regular basis. I will check psi settings.
How come with the technology age we live in they don't have digital pressure switches.

Advertisement