Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Booming sump pump

I have a sump pump in my basement. It is there to keep the basement dry. It pumps the water up a PVC pipe to a horizontal pipe that feeds into a drain outside. The horizontal drainpipe comes out of the foundation of the house about 8 to 10 inches above ground level and feeds into a drainpipe in the ground. It appears that the horizontal drainpipe is not quite level and drains back towards the sump pump at maybe 5 degrees.

I can hear it when the pump comes on and pump water out of the sump hole. After the pump shuts off a few seconds later there is a very loud booming sound coming from the area. It may be a valve slamming shut stopping back wash. I'm not sure what it is. How can I correct this problem?

Jimr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Booming sump pump

I would think it is a check valve hitting. The valves are put into the pipe or on the pump to make sure it doesn't wash back into the pit threw the pump. If this valve is sticking open the water may flow and hit it hard before it would be slammed shut. They have many types of valves for this flappers balls and so on. I probably would first try and replacing the valve or adding a second to make sure it shuts quickly. I would think a spring loaded one would be better to prevent this noise it would probably be able to close faster before the back flow starts.