Bolt That Holds The Tank To The Toilet Bowl Is Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 141

bolt that holds the tank to the toilet bowl is leaking

I recently replaced the dual flush system my toilet used to have with an entire repair kit from fluidmaster. prior to making any changes, the bolts were leaking and even after the repair, they're still leaking. they're on there pretty tight and I'm afraid that if I wrench on it much more, it could crack the porcelain. I believe the bolt assembles as such with the new kit: bolt, washer, gasket (inside the tank); gasket, washer, nut (under the bowl).

what gives?!

Advertisement

andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
I recently replaced the dual flush system my toilet used to have with an entire repair kit from fluidmaster. prior to making any changes, the bolts were leaking and even after the repair, they're still leaking. they're on there pretty tight and I'm afraid that if I wrench on it much more, it could crack the porcelain. I believe the bolt assembles as such with the new kit: bolt, washer, gasket (inside the tank); gasket, washer, nut (under the bowl).

what gives?!
Do you have a washer and nut directly under the tank? Using those insures a water tight seal in the tank.

To explain in more detail,
** Bolt head > RubberWasher1 > Tank > MetalWasher1 > Nut1 > Bowl > RubberWasher2 > MetalWasher2 > Nut2 **

... 1. Don't put a metal washer between the bolt head and RubberWasher1. The water seal depends on the wide bolt head pressing directly on RubberWasher1.

... 2. There's no need for a rubber washer between the bottom of the tank and MetalWasher1 since it will not stop any leaks. All you're doing with Nut1 is applying tension on the bolt to press on RubberWasher1. In fact a rubber washer between the bottom of the tank and MetalWasher1 would be worse.

To assemble, tighten Nut1 to make a water tight seal at RubberWasher1. Then put the tank on the bowl and install RubberWasher2 > MetalWasher2 > nut.

"RubberWasher2" absorbs tension and vibration between the tank and the bowl. That's how I do it and I never get any leaks at the tank to bowl bolts.

HRG

Advertisement

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Do you have a washer and nut directly under the tank? Using those insures a water tight seal in the tank.

To explain in more detail,
** Bolt head > RubberWasher1 > Tank > MetalWasher1 > Nut1 > Bowl > RubberWasher2 > MetalWasher2 > Nut2 **

... 1. Don't put a metal washer between the bolt head and RubberWasher1. The water seal depends on the wide bolt head pressing directly on RubberWasher1.

... 2. There's no need for a rubber washer between the bottom of the tank and MetalWasher1 since it will not stop any leaks. All you're doing with Nut1 is applying tension on the bolt to press on RubberWasher1. In fact a rubber washer between the bottom of the tank and MetalWasher1 would be worse.

To assemble, tighten Nut1 to make a water tight seal at RubberWasher1. Then put the tank on the bowl and install RubberWasher2 > MetalWasher2 > nut.

"RubberWasher2" absorbs tension and vibration between the tank and the bowl. That's how I do it and I never get any leaks at the tank to bowl bolt.

HRG
I'd have to wait until I get home from work to double check, but I think under the tank it goes: gasket, washer, nut and that's it.

after reading online, it looks like that I screwed up with putting a washer inside the tank right under the bolt head, if memory serves me correctly.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
I'd have to wait until I get home from work to double check, but I think under the tank it goes: gasket, washer, nut and that's it.
Having just one nut under the "bowl" to hold tank bolt in place will allow the bolt head to move inside of the tank if someone sitting on the toilet leans back on the tank or other vibrations. The washer and nut directly under the tank will prevent that.

Quote:
after reading online, it looks like that I screwed up with putting a washer inside the tank right under the bolt head, if memory serves me correctly.
Yes, a metal washer right under the bolt head does not provide a water tight seal at that point. The bolt head must press directly on the rubber washer.

HRG
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

These are the kits we like to use.

http://www.stockservicesystem.com/sp...gHeadKits.html
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 680

The rubber washer does go inside the tank under the screw head not outside.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This one on your link is what I would use:

Bolt head is wide and acts like a washer so no need to put a metal washer under the bolt head. The water seal of the bolt head directly to the rubber washer is better than bolt head to metal washer.

Using a metal washer under the bolt head never made any sense to me, since a metal bolt head to a metal washer does not logically make a sure water tight seal. I'm sure the kits that provide a metal washer under the bolt head work but I wonder how many folks ended up spreading silicone on that metal washer.

HRG
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Having just one nut under the "bowl" to hold tank bolt in place will allow the bolt head to move inside of the tank if someone sitting on the toilet leans back on the tank or other vibrations. The washer and nut directly under the tank will prevent that.

Yes, a metal washer right under the bolt head does not provide a water tight seal at that point. The bolt head must press directly on the rubber washer.

HRG
ok, what I wrote in my OP is correct: the way my stepdad installed the bolts is that inside the tank it goes bolt head, metal washer, rubber washer. on the toilet bowl side, it goes rubber washer, metal washer, hex nut.

It's funny you mention the tank moving if someone where to push back on it when sitting down. That's the main reason I got rid of the dual flush system the toilet had: because when people would push the flush button in, I'm afraid it was making the tank move because the toilet is not up against the wall (I assume this is how they're usually installed?)

I wish the directions actually stated how to properly install the bolts because I sure didn't see it listed after rereading over the instructions.

so, if I'm understanding this correctly, this is how the bolts should be:

bolt head
rubber washer
----tank----
metal washer
hex nut (tighten down hex nut with wrench)
----bowl----
rubber washer
metal washer
hex nut (tighten down last hex nut with a wrench)

is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The rubber washer does go inside the tank under the screw head not outside.
I'm realizing that now.

Quote:
This one on your link is what I would use:

Bolt head is wide and acts like a washer so no need to put a metal washer under the bolt head. The water seal of the bolt head directly to the rubber washer is better than bolt head to metal washer.

Using a metal washer under the bolt head never made any sense to me, since a metal bolt head to a metal washer does not logically make a sure water tight seal. I'm sure the kits that provide a metal washer under the bolt head work but I wonder how many folks ended up spreading silicone on that metal washer.

HRG
wonderful photo there!

it looks like the fluidmaster instructions for their bolt and washer kit suggests mounting the tank like the above photo:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/product_d...ns_english.pdf

Last edited by andrewjs18; 04-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #9

Quote:
so, if I'm understanding this correctly, this is how the bolts should be:

bolt head
rubber washer
----tank----
metal washer
hex nut (tighten down hex nut with wrench)
----bowl----
rubber washer
metal washer
hex nut (tighten down last hex nut with a wrench)

is this correct?
Yes, that's a really good way to illustrate the assembly. It makes sense that the bolt head "directly" squeezes the rubber washer against the tank to make a water tight seal without a metal washer under the bolt head.

Quote:
it looks like the fluidmaster instructions for their bolt and washer kit suggests mounting the tank like the above photo:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/product_d...ns_english.pdf
The bottom diagram in the link you gave is exactly what I've been trying to explain in words. However I disagree with the part that says the metal washer and nut between the tank and the bowl are optional. That washer and nut causes the bolt head to squeeze the rubber washer against the inside of the tank making a water tight seal. (But I guess some toilets don't have enough space between the tank and bowl for the washer and nut).

Without that washer and nut, then the water tight seal depends on the washer and nut under the bowl. Any movement of the tank to bowl will compromise the water seal of the rubber washer inside of the tank.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Realize that some models of toilets do not have room for a nut and washer inbetween the bowl and tank.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Realize that some models of toilets do not have room for a nut and washer inbetween the bowl and tank.
Yes, I had noted that in post #9:
(But I guess some toilets don't have enough space between the tank and bowl for the washer and nut)

Thanks,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #12

thanks for the help guys.

I took the tank off today and applied the bolts correctly and it appears to of fixed my leak issue!

here's to hoping that that did the trick!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #13

Quote:
thanks for the help guys.

I took the tank off today and applied the bolts correctly and it appears to of fixed my leak issue!

here's to hoping that that did the trick!
Congrats. Glad to hear things are dry
HRG
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

A bit late, but:

Toilet Smoothing tank interior bottom

An easy extra step which has solved "mystery" tank leaks for me in the past: f the interior bottom of the tank is not smooth to the touch,

take a bit of emery paper and smooth the bottom around the bolt holes, and if you are replacing it, the valve.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote