Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blow out a water line that is not used with a sprinkler system

Hello all! I am wondering how to blow out a water line that is not used with a sprinkler system. I have searched and the instructions are for sprinkler systems, and I guess it would be almost the same, so here is my setup.

I have a separate spigot on the back of the house that ties into the original one next to it, which is insulated and ok. The spigot when turned on runs water out about 100 feet or so to a tree in the back part of my back yard to a spigot attached to a tree.(big yard) A few feet before the tree, the water line breaks off left and right, like a "Y" to a shed I have on the left side of the yard and another on the right side, also going to spigots attached to the side of the sheds.

The distance to each shed where it y's off is about 50-60 feet or so. So basically it is a dedicated line that goes straight out and y's off. Do I just hook up an air compressor and blow out the line for a few minutes? I do not think this should be too dificult or as involved as doing a sprinkler system. Also, what kind of connection do I need to put onto the compressor to attach to the spigot? Thanks for your help! Mike.

njmike2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Blow out a water line that is not used with a sprinkler system

you didn't say why you were emptying the lines, but i'm guessing it's to keep them from freezing and bursting this winter. If that's the case, you might be better off to pump some RV line anti-freeze in them, then flush them out in a reclaim container in the spring. Just a thought. Small pumps can be bought for cheap and would hook right up with a garden hose connection.

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote