Blow Off Tube ? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Blow Off Tube ?

I had an inspector come to see my house for my town, I was not present, I got a note saying that the pressure relief valve on my hot water heater needs to have a "Blow Off Tube" Anyone know what that is? Obviously it is a tube that comes off the valve, the valve has threading inside the opening BTW

I could always but hate to ask the inspector you know best to just get it done and say "it's done"

so what do I need ????

thanks!

Advertisement

petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Blow Off Tube ?

Is the water heater sitting in a pan?
There's suppost to be a tube that goes from the relief valve to the pan.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,628

Blow Off Tube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petros151 View Post
I had an inspector come to see my house for my town, I was not present, I got a note saying that the pressure relief valve on my hot water heater needs to have a "Blow Off Tube" Anyone know what that is? Obviously it is a tube that comes off the valve, the valve has threading inside the opening BTW

I could always but hate to ask the inspector you know best to just get it done and say "it's done"

so what do I need ????

thanks!
There a several ways to pipe a relief line. Your local code will dictate the guide lines. Best to call the inspector and get clarification.
Sometimes a pipe from the relief to within 6" of the floor is adequate. Sometimes it needs to go to a floor drain or the exterior. Type of pipe to use is copper, galv iron or cpvc. Do not use pex or pvc
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

Blow Off Tube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is the water heater sitting in a pan?
There's suppost to be a tube that goes from the relief valve to the pan.
no the heater is sitting on a concrete base nothing under it... so what now?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Blow Off Tube ?

Here in MA, code says the tube has to be within 12" of the floor. But as The Eplumber said, it really only matters what your local code (and inspector) says. Maybe it needs to be within 6"; or be extended to the outside etc, etc etc...

Get clarification from "The Man".

If the inspector didn't say anything about a pan, then you aren't required to have one. Again, in my state, a pan is only required where there is living space below the water heater. No pan necessary in a garage or a basement. PA may be different, but it sounds like he only cited you for the blow-off tube, not a pan, correct?

Last edited by Ishmael; 12-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

Blow Off Tube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
Here in MA, code says the tube has to be within 12" of the floor. But as The Eplumber said, it really only matters what your local code (and inspector) says. Maybe it needs to be within 6"; or be extended to the outside etc, etc etc...

Get clarification from "The Man".

If the inspector didn't say anything about a pan, then you aren't required to have one. Again, in my state, a pan is only required where there is living space below the water heater. No pan necessary in a garage or a basement. PA may be different, but it sounds like he only cited you for the blow-off tube, not a pan, correct?
right he mentioned only the tube. I guess I"ll call a local plumber and ask them...but I get the main jist a tube needs to extend down some length or other-- now what type of tube will connect to the inside threads of the valve?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,544

Blow Off Tube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petros151 View Post
right he mentioned only the tube. I guess I"ll call a local plumber and ask them...but I get the main jist a tube needs to extend down some length or other-- now what type of tube will connect to the inside threads of the valve?
just install 3/4" pipe from tpr valve to within 4"of floor...that will be good.......type...copper or plastic...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Blow Off Tube ?

Usually a 3/4 inch male to sweat adapter. The tube should be down to 6 inches from the floor in most cases but why speculate? Call the code official and do it right the first time, He does not bite.

I just heard about the tragic shooting in Conn. God is my heart out to those poor poor parents. What in Gods name is this world coming to?

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote