DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Blow Off Tube ? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/blow-off-tube-166464/)

petros151 12-14-2012 03:42 PM

Blow Off Tube ?
 
I had an inspector come to see my house for my town, I was not present, I got a note saying that the pressure relief valve on my hot water heater needs to have a "Blow Off Tube" Anyone know what that is? Obviously it is a tube that comes off the valve, the valve has threading inside the opening BTW


I could always but hate to ask the inspector you know best to just get it done and say "it's done"

so what do I need ???? :)

thanks!

joecaption 12-14-2012 03:56 PM

Is the water heater sitting in a pan?
There's suppost to be a tube that goes from the relief valve to the pan.

TheEplumber 12-14-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petros151 (Post 1073103)
I had an inspector come to see my house for my town, I was not present, I got a note saying that the pressure relief valve on my hot water heater needs to have a "Blow Off Tube" Anyone know what that is? Obviously it is a tube that comes off the valve, the valve has threading inside the opening BTW


I could always but hate to ask the inspector you know best to just get it done and say "it's done"

so what do I need ???? :)

thanks!

There a several ways to pipe a relief line. Your local code will dictate the guide lines. Best to call the inspector and get clarification.
Sometimes a pipe from the relief to within 6" of the floor is adequate. Sometimes it needs to go to a floor drain or the exterior. Type of pipe to use is copper, galv iron or cpvc. Do not use pex or pvc

petros151 12-14-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1073118)
Is the water heater sitting in a pan?
There's suppost to be a tube that goes from the relief valve to the pan.

no the heater is sitting on a concrete base nothing under it... so what now? :huh:

Ishmael 12-14-2012 05:38 PM

Here in MA, code says the tube has to be within 12" of the floor. But as The Eplumber said, it really only matters what your local code (and inspector) says. Maybe it needs to be within 6"; or be extended to the outside etc, etc etc...

Get clarification from "The Man".

If the inspector didn't say anything about a pan, then you aren't required to have one. Again, in my state, a pan is only required where there is living space below the water heater. No pan necessary in a garage or a basement. PA may be different, but it sounds like he only cited you for the blow-off tube, not a pan, correct?

petros151 12-14-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishmael (Post 1073173)
Here in MA, code says the tube has to be within 12" of the floor. But as The Eplumber said, it really only matters what your local code (and inspector) says. Maybe it needs to be within 6"; or be extended to the outside etc, etc etc...

Get clarification from "The Man".

If the inspector didn't say anything about a pan, then you aren't required to have one. Again, in my state, a pan is only required where there is living space below the water heater. No pan necessary in a garage or a basement. PA may be different, but it sounds like he only cited you for the blow-off tube, not a pan, correct?

right he mentioned only the tube. I guess I"ll call a local plumber and ask them...but I get the main jist a tube needs to extend down some length or other-- now what type of tube will connect to the inside threads of the valve?

ben's plumbing 12-14-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petros151 (Post 1073194)
right he mentioned only the tube. I guess I"ll call a local plumber and ask them...but I get the main jist a tube needs to extend down some length or other-- now what type of tube will connect to the inside threads of the valve?

just install 3/4" pipe from tpr valve to within 4"of floor...that will be good.......type...copper or plastic...ben sr

jagans 12-14-2012 07:03 PM

Usually a 3/4 inch male to sweat adapter. The tube should be down to 6 inches from the floor in most cases but why speculate? Call the code official and do it right the first time, He does not bite.


I just heard about the tragic shooting in Conn. God is my heart out to those poor poor parents. What in Gods name is this world coming to? :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved