DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Blocked Drain Problem (

milkman2010 07-02-2011 02:33 PM

Blocked Drain Problem
2 Attachment(s)
I have a blockage and don't know how to clear it. From the pictures I've uploaded, I will explain what is happening. On the right side, water from the washtub builds up and is extremely slow to drain. If you put a plunger on it, it will actually back up the stack that is on the left side. The stack on the right side is coming down the kitchen sink. near the top of this stack there is an auto-vent, so air isn't getting trapped. At some point after the two pipes join and go into the floor, there is a blockage. From the looks of the PVC pipe joins, this wasn't assembled by a professional. I've tried expensive pipe chemical cleaners with no such luck. how can I clear this line? Thanks.


oh'mike 07-02-2011 02:46 PM

Obviously you will need to rod that out with a small rodder.---I would cut the upright and rod from the open pipe just above the T--then add a Y with a cap to repair it.

A rubber Fernco fitting might be good for testing--then glue in the clean out Y after you know that the

line is clear.

The clean out that the original owner installed is a T and would be a pain to attempt to use.--Mike--

milkman2010 07-02-2011 04:55 PM

Thanks Mike.

Just a few follow up questions.

Can I do this with a manual snake, or will I need to rent an electric one to do it?

Also, after the pipes joins into one, and goes into the concrete floor, do you think the pike goes straight down much further, or will there be a 90 angle or something like that? (Just want to see what I will have to encounter when I snake it.) Thanks.


oh'mike 07-02-2011 05:01 PM

That's very close to the wall---there is a concrete footing under the wall--so-there is likely another bend as soon as you get below the floor.

A hand rodder (maybe one that hooks onto your drill?) should do----Mike--

milkman2010 07-02-2011 05:41 PM

ok. I just googled "electric drill drain cleaner." Those things cost about $500. I guess I'll have to rent one. This drain clogged up about four years ago. Could it be possible that tree roots are causing the problem since there are trees on the property? When the bathroom sink, toilet, or shower drain water, there is no problem. I'm assuming the problem is between the main pipe out and the laundry tub drain. Agree?


oh'mike 07-02-2011 06:06 PM

You don't need one of the fancy rodders-----for very little money you can buy a rodder that attaches to your own drill---$20 or so----I doubt if tree roots have any bearing on that drain----the pipe runs from where you see it over to the main stack---

My guess? To many bends--shallow pitch and to small a pipe--along with improper venting.

Keep it rodded as needed and you will be fine---fixing it right means opening the floor.

milkman2010 07-02-2011 07:23 PM

Thanks Mike. I'll give it a shot the next few days and report back later!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1